iv. campfire

"winter's child fights against her kin"

Cassandra wanted to go lay down after dinner, maybe have a small crying session, and then sleep.

Instead, Annabeth had dragged her to the campfire.

She sat with her and Jason in the front row, listening as the campers all sang the usual songs. The Apollo kids led the sing-along, along with Haven, daughter of Euterpe.

Her and Annabeth had finally began dating over the break, much to Cassandra's excitement.

The flames turned from red to orange to gold as everyone's energy levels rose. The only person who wasn't singing was Cassandra, who was too deep in thought to sing.

Once the song had ended, Chiron trotted up. "Very nice! And a special welcome to our new arrivals. I am Chiron, camp activities director, and I'm happy you have all arrived here alive and with most of your limbs attached. In a moment, I promise we'll get to the s'mores, but first—"

"What about capture the flag?" Someone yelled, and annoyed grumbling broke out among the Ares cabin.

"Yes" Chiron said. "I know the Ares cabin is anxious to return to the woods for our regular games."

"And kill people!" One of them shouted.

"However" Chiron said, "until the dragon is brought under control, that won't be possible. Cabin Nine, anything to report on that?"

"We're working on it" Nyssa told them.

"How, Nyssa?" an Ares camper demanded.

"Really hard" She responded, and sat down, despite the complaining and yelling.

Chiron stamped his hoof against the fire pit stones—bang, bang, bang—and the campers fell silent.

"We will have to be patient" He said. "In the meantime, we have more pressing matters to discuss."

"Percy?" Someone asked. The fire dimmed, as anxiety filled the campers.

Chiron gestured to Cassandra, who sighed and stood. "We didn't find Percy" She announced, her breath hitched when she said his name. "He wasn't at the Grand Canyon like I'd thought. But we won't give up. There are teams everywhere. Grover, Tyson, Nico, the Hunters—everyone is out looking. We'll find him. But Chiron is talking about something different. A new quest."

"It's the Great Prophecy, isn't it?" Drew asked, standing up.

"Drew?" Annabeth said. "What do you mean?"

"Well, come on." Drew spread her hands like the truth was obvious. "Olympus is closed. Percy's disappeared. Hera sends Cassie a vision and you come back with three new demigods in one day. I mean, something weird is going on. The Great Prophecy has started, right?"

Cassandra's gaze moved to Rachel.

"Well?" Drew called down. "You're the oracle. Has it started or not?"

Rachel stepped forward calmly. "Yes" she confirmed. "The Great Prophecy has begun."

Pandemonium broke out among the campers.

Cassandra's heart dropped. She sat down, struck with a sudden wave of dizziness. She had known this was happening, but it still shocked her to hear that it was true.

Drew was looking at Cassandra sympathetically. She obviously felt bad for bringing it up.

When the talking had finally subsided, Rachel took another step toward the audience, and fifty plus demigods leaned away from her, as if one skinny red headed mortal was more intimidating than all of them put together.