xiii. light

"this is somebody's life your messing with"

Unsurprisingly, Hercules turned out to be a complete dick.

After burying the ex-demigod in fruit (it's better not to question it) and frantically flying away, the ship traveled by a air for a few hundred miles.

To add to all of this, every hour or so, the ship was attacked by something.

First it was the flock of flesh-eating Stymphalian birds that swooped right out of the night sky. Luckily, Festus torched them before they had the chance to eat any flesh. Then there were the storm spirits that swirled around the mast, but Jason was able to blast them with lightning. And then, while Coach Hedge was eating dinner on the foredeck, a wild pegasus appeared from nowhere, stampeded all over the satyr's dinner, and flew off, leaving cheesy hoof marks all across the deck.

After the pegasus attack, Cassandra slipped below deck, her excuse being that she was tired.

Really, the boiling sensation was back, and she needed space to be sick.

She barely made it to her cabin before the boiling water crept up her throat, and out into the toilet. Her vision blurred from the pain in her head, but she could make out drops of blood from her nose dripping into the toilet as well.

It'd been a few days since her last nosebleed, so it made sense. And at least she couldn't worry about how much gold was now in her blood, since she, you know, could barely see.

This was never something she would get used to. It didn't matter that she had been dealing with this for almost two years. It was still terrible. And she assumed it always would be.

She must've sat in front of her toilet for at least an hour, before she was finally able to drag herself over to her nightstand.

She would do anything to escape the boiling sensation flowing through her veins, making her feel like she was going to disintegrate from the inside, out.

Including reaching into that dreaded pill bottle, no matter how much she despised it.

Even though it made her feel weak.

Even though it made her feel broken.

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

Light crept into the darkness, and the scene fizzled into her view.

She stood in a temple made of white marble, streaked with gold. A nice breeze settled around her, and a clear blue sky could be seen from where she stood.

"Cassandra."

She turned, and Aphrodite stepped out from behind a column. The goddess wore a pink flowy dress, a huge difference from the ball gown she'd worn in Charleston.

"Dite?" Cassandra asked.

The goddess held a finger to her lips, signaling for her to shush. "I'm not supposed to be here. Zeus has forbidden contact with mortals. But he's so torn between his sides...I was able to slip away."

"What's going on?" She asked.

"I want to help you, my dear" Aphrodite said. "But you need to trust me for a second here."

Cassandra's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

Aphrodite smiled at her sympathetically. "I'm sure you realize that the circumstances surrounding your birth are not what you've been told, yes?"