best

I never was the best to you
I never was, I never was

The waves crashed against the hull of the ship, the sound providing a small distraction from his thoughts

The waves crashed against the hull of the ship, the sound providing a small distraction from his thoughts. The salt air filled his nose, and jumped up from the waves the kiss his cheeks.

Seconds had turned to minutes. Minutes had turned to hours. Hours had turned to days.

Days and days of her being gone.

Days and days of carrying Drew's words, trying to figure out what he was supposed to do.

He'd thought that he was ready for this. Ready to know how her mind worked. Ready to understand her.

But now that he did understand, he almost wanted to go back to a time where he didn't.

Things were so much easier when he had been clueless.

"Rachel Iris-messaged me."

Annabeth appeared at his side, looking out into the distance. She seemed to be fighting a smile, but her eyes looked slightly watery.

"Is everything okay at camp?" Percy asked. "Camp Jupiter hasn't attacked yet, right?"

"Cassie's alive."

At first, he thought that he'd heard her wrong.

"What?"

Annabeth stopped fighting, and let a large smile appear on her face. "She's alive, Percy. Cassie's alive."

He was pretty sure he stopped breathing, the shock of her words crushing him. "H—how?"

"It sounds ridiculous, but I promise I'm telling the truth" Annabeth warned. "Rachel got some sort of letter from her—a napkin. It...it came through the hearth where we burn our tributes to the gods at dinner time. Connor Stoll found it, and handed it off to Rachel."

She was right. Her explanation sounded as if she'd pulled it straight from Mary Poppins's bag.

"What did it... What did it say?" Percy asked, still trying to process all of her words.

"She wants Rachel to arrange a meeting with Reyna" The blonde explained. "I guess Athena came to her in a dream and said that Reyna has to bring the Athena Parthenos to stand on Half-Blood Hill."

Percy shook his head and pinched himself, as if to make sure he wasn't dreaming. "She had a dream...in Tartarus?"

"I know it sounds crazy, but you're just going to have to trust me here." Annabeth nudged him with her elbow. "You can ask Cassie all of your questions when she gets out."