Chapter 2

After dinner I went and sat on the back porch, staring out at the small pond, the red sun reflected off it. During dinner I was quiet. The mood seemed to be lighter, Alastor seemed to be more polite, though he was staring a lot. Rosie and him chatted throughout the meal about some business deal.

I curled up onto the porch swing, resting my head against one of the chains. It was peaceful here. Rosie had told during the nights of Hell, the streets outside of the town were the last place you wanted to be. From what I saw when I first got here, I couldn't imagine how it could get any worse.

But here, I would usually spend my evenings on the back porch, watching the sky become a dark red as night fell upon us. I'd reflect on my past a lot too. No one knew of it, not even Rosie. She didn't know why I was in Hell. She had asked before but quickly realized it was a rather sensitive subject for me so never brought it up again.

"Is this what your evenings consist of?" The all too familiar voice echoed out. I slowly turned my head over, seeing Alastor leaning against the wall by the door, his eyes set on mine. "Yes," I mumbled, looking back out at the pond. Rosie's backyard wasn't small, but wasn't big either. A white fence around the yard, just over it you could see the other's yards.

Suddenly I felt the swing move a bit, now realizing Alastor was sitting next to me. I looked back over at him, watching as he stared out at the yard. "You know it's rude to stare," he hummed without even looking at me. "Were you not staring at me earlier?" I hummed back with a chuckle, Alastor's head turning towards me.

His eyes looked me up and down before narrowing on mine. "Perhaps I was," he grinned. "Why aren't you keeping Rosie company?" I raised an eyebrow to him. "She's working on a dress right now, not my forte," he hummed once more before looking back out at the yard.

I looked out at the sky, staring at the pentagram we had here as a sun. I had forgotten now what it was like to see the sun on earth, what it was like to watch it set. "I heard you got hurt during the extermination," I mumbled, hoping it wouldn't set him off.

He let out a deep sigh as I heard him reposition himself. "Yes, I did," he said quietly, his voice a bit cold. "It's good you're okay though," I said without even thinking really of my words.

"Surprising coming from you, I was under the impression you didn't care for my company," he chuckled. "To me it felt like you used Rosie, and I care for Rosie... She cares about you and would do anything for you but I don't want her to get taken advantage of because of that," I mumbled as I sighed.

"I would never use Rosie," Alastor sounded offended, I could feel his eyes on me. I continued to look forward, paying no mind to it. "It just seems that way when you only came back after being gone for that long to ask for something," I said coldly.

"I didn't think of it that way," he said back just as coldly. "Rosie can be cruel, I've seen it... but she's also the most loyal being I know and the friendship you two have means a lot to her, she'd do really anything for you... Please don't take advantage of that," I looked over at Alastor. A look on his face I could not identify.

"I see you're not in the best state yourself right now, but Rosie means a lot to me, I won't let her get hurt. But if your intentions from here on out mean well, then mine will too," I said quietly. He tilted his head to the side, examining my face with his eyes.

"Very well, our intentions shall both remain well then," he said quietly back. A silence took over us once more, both of us just staring at the sky as it slowly got darker. "Why are you in Hell dear?" He asked.

My eyes went a bit wide, my past haunted my mind the second he asked. I felt my heart beat faster in my chest as my breathing quickened. "I uh... I'm going to get ready for bed now," I said abruptly as I stood up quickly and rushed inside, leaving Alastor outside with no further explanation.