Chapter 8 (Part 2)

Jean leans closer, his eyes peering intently at Professor Lenszcen's invention. The desire to utilize the innovation drags Jean nearer, but he knows he must remain seated. But, as he listens and stares at the invention, his reverie is abruptly cut when Professor Lenszcen veers from his topic.

Hopping to another topic, Professor Lenszcen stated, "So, now, I hope you all have an idea of what technology could look like. It must be unique. Helpful. And innovative." Pointing at his invention, he continued, "And projects like these are the requirements in this class for you to pass. So, while it's still early, think big already, everyone!"

     As a deep, heavy sigh passes through his lips, Jean sinks back to his seat. He taps his fingers restlessly on the wooden desk before him as he continuously thinks about the innovation. His mind floods with every idea of getting his fingers on Professor Lenszcen's invention. However, he cannot do anything but remain still in his seat and pay attention to the lecture as the professor begins the lesson.

     Time passes by, and soon, the sun reaches its peak, sending its warm but gentle golden rays from the centre of the sky. The wind blows and whooshes, passing through tree leaves and causing them to sway. As the soft gust travels across the land, it produces a calming but eerie noise reminiscent of howling wolves. As time flies away with the wind, students step out of their classrooms and gather in the halls while others group in other areas of the school.

     Inside the school library, Jean, Kevin, and Gabriel gather and sit beside each other on one of the long benches around the desks. As they settle into their warm, comfortable seats, they exchange glances and wait for one of them to speak. But, before they utter a word, they allow their gazes to wander momentarily to soak in the wonder of the chamber.

     The walls stand like armed soldiers, their foundations crafted with dark, hardened wood. Windows line the walls, allowing natural light to enter the building, causing the wooden floor to emit a bronze glint. Marble statues of prominent people rest along the hall, gazing at the sky with their steely gaze. Humongous chandeliers hang on the lofty ceiling, showering the room with their soft golden glow.

     Tall bookshelves dot the library, filling every space with vast knowledge and wisdom. From the ground floor to the second, shelves flood the area, containing diverse books and tomes that promise learning to all. Rows of seats occupy the remaining space, giving students a place of comfort where they can read and study.

"I'll be honest. Professor Lenszcen's final requirement for his subject scares me," Gabriel confessed, scratching his nape.

"Don't worry. Professor said we'll be doing that project in groups of three," Kevin reassured Gabriel with a calm smirk. "And now that the three of us are together, what do you think of making a group for that project?" Kevin asked with a light smile.

"That'll be splendid!" Gabriel thought, punching his fist against the air.

Kevin smiled warmly at Gabriel. Awaiting Jean's response, Kevin directed a delicate gaze towards Jean and called out to him. "What do you think, Jean?"

     Staring at the desk's wooden surface before him, Jean fails to hear Kevin's calls. Jean peers deeply at the desk's blank surface, thinking about his vision from earlier and the hope Professor Lenszcen's innovation possesses. Clearing his throat, Kevin calls out to Jean again, and Jean finally breaks free from his mental haze.

"Jean?"

Jean gasped faintly. "Oh." He looked at Kevin and Gabriel, smiling awkwardly. "I'm sorry. Yeah. Sure. That sounds... that idea sounds great," he said.

"Surely, you've been thinking about your visions again, haven't you?" Kevin questioned him with a knowing smirk as he crossed his arms.

Jean sighed heavily. "Yeah... I apologise if my visions are causing a struggle, guys. I just couldn't help it..." he apologised. "Whenever I think about my dreams and visions, I just lose concentration. It feels like my brain is zoning out from reality, and, God, I just hate it."

"It's alright. We understand how annoying it must be for you," Gabriel stated, placing his elbow against the desk.

"Yeah. And remember, Jean, as your friends, we're all ears," Kevin nodded in agreement, smiling. "So, tell us, what have you been thinking about lately?"