Chapter 6 (Part 5)

Turning from Scarlet, Jean passes through the door leading indoors and squeezes through the inundation of boys and girls. Taking a sharp turn to the left, he walks across the chamber and approaches the round table where Kevin and Gabriel are seated. As he reaches them, Jean places his hands on their backs, signalling his return.

"Hey, guys," Jean called.

"Oh, hey, Jean. Where did you go?" Kevin asked, raising a curious brow.

"Well, it's something for Gabriel," Jean replied, pointing a palm at Gabriel.

Hearing his name sparked his curiosity. "Hm?" Gabriel raised a brow, glancing at Jean.

Jean, Kevin, and Gabriel left the round table and marched across the grand chamber.

As they walked forward, Kevin couldn't help but ask. "Where are we heading?" Kevin questioned.

"You'll know. But Kevin. You and I will stay in the background. Only Gabriel will go there," Jean explained with a knowing smile.

Gabriel looked at Jean. "Oh?"

"Alone," Jean added, playfully emphasizing the word.

A sense of anxiety began to creep up on Gabriel's spine. "Okay, what're you two up to?" Gabriel giggled hesitantly.

"Don't ask me. It's Jean's plan," Kevin retorted playfully.

Jean halted, prompting the others to stop and stand beside his shoulders. Knitting his brows together, Jean turned to face Gabriel. "Gabriel. I know you're feeling... blue over a presumptuous, slimy shark when there are a billion fish in the ocean. But I managed to find the one just for you," said Jean.

"Found... what?" Gabriel asked, his interest pulling him closer to Jean.

"I found you a beautiful goldfish," Jean admitted, his hands resting on his waist.

Gabriel gasped with a grin. However, his expression faltered and hardened. "Wait, should I take your words metaphorically or literally?" he queried.

Jean's gaze roved past Gabriel, and he spotted Scarlet standing solemnly on the balcony alone. "Well, do you see that girl?" Jean smirked, raising his brows.

Gabriel turned around and saw the girl, Scarlet, on the balcony, facing the other direction. "Who? That? That girl?" he pointed out.

"Yes, her. Go for her," Jean smiled.

"But I don't know her," Gabriel refused, his eyes widening.

"Just go for it," Kevin sighed with a grin.

     With a mischievous push, Kevin shoves Gabriel towards the balcony. A naughty glint in his eye, he grabs the door handle and pulls it close. Gabriel's eyes widen as his jaw hangs open, his heart beating like thunder. He attempts to pry the door open but to no avail. Gabriel's brows arch with worry, his eyes seeking empathy from Jean, but Jean only responds by raising a thumb.

"Just trust me. Go talk to her," Jean mouthed, his voice muffled by the glass panes between them.

     As Jean and Kevin hide in the corner, Gabriel takes a deep breath and turns to face the girl, Scarlet. As he faces her, he immediately finds her gaze on him. When his eyes meet her soft but penetrating gaze, his heart feels like stopping, his breath catching in his throat.

"Oh, I..." Scarlet stammered, her cheeks flushing.

Gabriel's eyes widened further, and his heart felt like jumping out of his chest. Gathering his courage, he approached her and stood beside her on the balcony railings. "Hey... uh! Hi!" he greeted her.

"Hello, I..." Scarlet's voice weakened as she tried her best to calm herself.

Sensing the tension between them, Gabriel stepped forward and spoke up. "I! Heh. Pardon my friends. They brought me here," he said.

Slowly, Scarlet found comfort in Gabriel, her heart calming down. "It's alright. I understand that," she replied.

Blushing, Gabriel reached out and introduced himself. "I'm Gabriel! It's nice to meet you!"

"I'm Scarlet. Nice to meet you, too," Scarlet replied, shaking hands with Gabriel.

     Jean and Kevin watch in the corner, marvelling at the sight before them. Sensing the passion burning between Gabriel and Scarlet, Jean and Kevin glance at each other and flash bright, toothy grins. With a sense of accomplishment, Jean and Kevin face each other and shake each other's hands vigorously.

     Soon, the Acquaintance Ball concludes, and the excitement it once holds thaws. Once full of clamour, the halls that stretch for miles begin their drastic change as they turn silent like a cemetery at night. Once guiding those wandering in the corridors, the candles dissolve and melt away.

     A wooden door swings open, the hinges laughing like a witch, as Jean, Kevin, and Gabriel pass through. As they slam the door shut, they laugh and stand under the wooden chandelier that bathes them in a golden glow. As Gabriel glances at Jean, he cannot help but feel a strong sense of curiosity coursing through him.

"Hey, Jean?" Gabriel called out.

"Hm?" Jean responded, looking at Gabriel, a smile illuminating his face.

"How'd you know about Scarlet? The girl from earlier?" Gabriel questioned him.

Jean gazed at his hands; he knew it was the time to reveal his visions to his friends. Taking a deep breath, he whispered, "Alright. You, guys, won't believe me. But... I'm having visions... I had visions of her. That's why I know her."

Kevin and Gabriel exchanged bitter glances before bursting into laughter. "Hahaha! Funny!" they chuckled. "You're kidding!"

     Jean knew what he was saying was reliable and the truth. However, his friends refused to believe him. Yet, it didn't stop him from believing in himself. He just smiled back at them and giggled at his words.