Chapter 1 (Part 2)

Jean, Bertie, and George grinned in unison.

"You boys are going to have a fantastic time at school. Just don't forget to prioritize your studies, alright?" Oliver smiled warmly, addressing Jean, Bertie, and George.

"We won't forget, Dad," Jean assured, his hands clasped behind his back.

Oliver's gaze shifted to Bertie and George, his face hardening slightly. "...And as for you two, I hope I won't receive any more calls from your school. I expect both of you to behave yourselves this school year, understood?" he said sternly.

"Hehe, yeah, yeah," Bertie responded, his head slightly lowered as he absentmindedly scratched his nape. "Right, George?"

"Right," George nodded.

Oliver's stern countenance softened, transforming into a tender expression. "Hm, right. Now, it's time for me to bid you all farewell." He opened his arms wide, inviting them all into an embrace. "Come here, you all."

     Taking a deep breath, Jean, Bertie, and George step forward, intertwining their arms around their father, Oliver. Oliver extends his arms, embracing his three sons—Jean, Bertie, and George—in a tight, affectionate hug. Time seems to hold its breath in that frozen moment, captivated by the beautiful bond between father and children. Their warmth and love flow between them as they squeeze each other tightly.

     Slowly, the hug between the father and his sons begins to loosen. Jean, Bertie, and George release their hold on Oliver and step back, yet their smiles and gentle gazes remain unwavering. They lock eyes—as if their pupils are mirrors reflecting their temporary farewell. With a subtle nod, Oliver steps aside, making way for Jean, Bertie, and George.

     Turning their attention to Gregory, Jean, Bertie, and George face him with light smiles. They place their hands over their calm hearts, lower their heads, and close their eyes. Their smiles transform into radiant grins, brimming with joy. Gregory, moved by the three boys, steps aside, watching with warmth in his eyes as Jean, Bertie, and George walk past him and Oliver.

     Behind Oliver and Gregory stands a resplendent carriage painted in the colour of a starless night. Its door hangs open, revealing a plush crimson seat neatly stacked with Jean, Bertie, and George's luggage. A magnificent brown horse stands poised at the front, eagerly awaiting the coachman's command to set the carriage in motion.

     Jean takes the lead, stepping forward and hopping into the carriage. He settles into his seat, making himself comfortable. George follows closely behind, joining Jean in the carriage and swiftly claiming his place in the warm middle seat. George gazes outside, waiting for their eldest brother, Bertie, to join them inside the vehicle.

     With a broad grin, Bertie rushes towards the carriage. However, just as his foot is about to touch the carriage's steps, he feels a firm grip on his shoulder pulling him back. Surprised, Bertie turns to his side and finds Oliver holding him tightly. Their eyes meet, and Oliver's gaze lingers on Bertie's unbuttoned button. With a deep sigh, Oliver tightens his lips and buttons Bertie's unfinished button.

"Don't disappoint me, Bertie," Oliver whispered.

"Pfft." Bertie let out a dismissive scoff, averting his gaze and tightening his lips. His eyes closed halfway through, shielding his emotions.

Observing Bertie's reaction, Oliver tenderly placed his fingers under Bertie's chin, gently lifting it to meet his gaze. "Hey, don't give me that look, Albert Junior," said Oliver.

Bertie's resistance softened, and a grin gradually spread across his face. He shook his head slowly, acknowledging Oliver's words. "Alright, alright," he replied.

     The carriage door slams shut with a resounding thud, sealing off the world inside. The coachman, gripping the reins tightly, gives a firm slash, causing the horse to neigh and rise onto its powerful legs. As the horse settles into a steady rhythm, it pulls the carriage forward, and the wooden wheels creak and groan as their rusty hinges squeak.

     Victoria and Elizabeth stand together, their eyes fixed on their departing brothers. Swiftly, they retrieve handkerchiefs from their pockets and wave them in the air, their colourful gestures a silent farewell. Oliver and Gregory stand side by side, their expressions brimming with pride and love. Their eyes meet, and their smiles deepen, carving dimples on their cheeks.

"Goodbye!" Victoria waved, her hand swaying in the air.

"Bye!" Bertie waved back, his head poking out of the carriage window. However, in an unfortunate turn of events, he failed to notice the lamp post looming behind him. With an unexpected collision, he let out a groan of pain and swiftly retracted his head into the moving vehicle. "Ow!" he exclaimed, rubbing his head in discomfort.

     Jean, Bertie, and George gaze intently through the carriage window, their eyes captivated by the evolving environment outside. The grandeur of stately mansions gradually gives way to the vibrant bustle of downtown. Their gazes remain fixed on the outside world, quietly observing the shifting landscape.

     Jean's attention is drawn to the streets, where he spots potion makers diligently brewing steaming blue elixirs in their small stalls. He watches in awe as they skillfully add herbs to the cauldrons, causing the concoctions inside to bubble and emit wisps of smoke. Despite the carriage's movement, Jean's eyes remain locked on the fascinating potion makers, transfixed by their craft.

     As the carriage continues, Jean's wandering gaze falls upon travelling merchants with their mobile stalls. He catches glimpses of the merchants' gleaming wares on display. Seeing their radiant and alluring objects sparks curiosity within Jean, igniting a desire to touch and explore those treasures. But, for now, Jean remains seated and observant.

     Gradually, Jean's eyes drift upward, drawn to the spectacle unfolding in the sky. Above him, three majestic dragons soar in the colours of garnet, emerald, and aquamarine. Their strong wings flap beneath the clouds as their chests heave. With a hiss and a deep breath, they unleash a mighty roar accompanied by a burst of brilliant orange flames.