Prologue

As the dawn breaks, the radiant sun peeks above the horizon, casting its gentle golden glow across the expanse of the cerulean sky. The hues of lustrous gold, warm oranges, and delicate peaches merge on the distant horizon, painting a breathtaking canvas. Serene clouds drift lazily through the atmosphere, carried by a tranquil breeze that whispers through the air.

     Within the opulent neighbourhood brimming with grand mansions, the gentle breeze glides from one block to another until it reaches the imposing facade of a prominent household. Amidst its stately walls, peace and stillness permeates every corner. The silence remains undisturbed until two sudden pairs of swift thudding noises rupture the tranquillity.

     Inside the sprawling corridors of the mansion, a teenage boy named Bertie dashes along, his footsteps echoing through the halls. Following closely behind him is his brother, George, matching his pace. They navigate the labyrinthine hallways, swiftly turning corners and making split-second decisions. Finally, they halt before a door adorned with elegant white panelling and crowned with a gleaming golden doorknob.

     Bertie's hair, split into two distinct bangs, blazes like the smouldering embers of a calm bonfire, perfectly complementing his lightly tanned complexion. His eyes, reminiscent of the rich hues found within the bark of a majestic tree, possess a captivating depth while radiating a vibrant brightness. A subtle beauty mark graces the area near his left eye, adding an allure to his visage.

     A white shirt with brown laces on its collar drapes over Bertie's lean frame. His white shorts, hanging below the knees, match the shirt. Finishing his modest indoor outfit is a pair of cotton stockings that shroud his skin underneath its soft embrace.

     With shared attire, George positions himself just behind his older brother, Bertie. His hair, resembling a damp flint, glistens with a subtle sheen, while his eyes mirror the deep hue of his dark locks. Like a constellation in the night sky, George's eyes sparkle, their luminosity contrasting beautifully against his fair, pale skin.

     Bertie and George glance at each other with playful grins across their faces. Then, their attention converges on the doorway before them. Clearing his throat and straightening his back, Bertie reaches forward and knocks on the door.