Chapter 2 (Part 4)

A doorknob, in the colour of coal, twists gently, producing a faint squeak, as the door swings inward, its hinges emitting a muffled hum. Jean and Kevin pass through silently and stealthily, finally entering their first class. The suspense of thinking they almost got late for their first day burns their lungs, and they almost cannot breathe. But now, standing inside their classroom, they can finally release a deep, heavy breath, feeling a sense of relief flow over them.

     Jean and Kevin's eyes roam and sweep across the classroom, taking in the sight before them. The room is bustling with an ocean of students, all wearing blue sashes like them. As the class is yet to begin, the students have time to converse with one another. Their voices lower, ensuring their conversations remain discreet so as not to catch the attention of the professor standing at the front of the room.

     Jean's gaze wanders, and he immediately notices rows of benches dotting the floor, nearly filling the entire classroom. Wooden desks rest before each seat, providing a surface for writing or a place to rest their forearms while engaged in conversation. Mahogany-brown arches stand in the corners, reaching up to the lofty ceilings where wooden chandeliers hang and cast a soft, dim glow that bathes the room in a warm ambience.

     On the right side of the classroom is a long bookshelf filled with thick, heavy tomes and books. At the front of the room, a blackboard, scribbled with white chalk markings, hangs on the wall, flanked by two slim arched windows that allow natural light to filter in. The polished floor, expertly crafted with durable wooden planks, shimmers like a newly minted coin, perfectly complementing the grey stone brick walls that encase the room.

     A wooden platform, slightly elevated for the students inside the classroom to see, rests on the classroom's front side. On top of it sits a wooden stand, intricately carved with elegant curved patterns, patiently awaiting to fulfil its meaning. Adjacent to the stand is a wooden desk with ornate legs and a chair, providing a place for the professor to rest and lean when desired.

     As Jean and Kevin enter the classroom, their eyes are immediately drawn to the professor standing atop the wooden platform beside the wooden stand. The professor—a middle-aged lady—stands with a straight back, appearing commanding, though her smile speaks of her kind nature and humility. Her hair, the colour of caramel, glimmers as sunlight streams through the windows behind her, casting a halo-like glow. Her eyes, sparkling like a clean river under the moonlight, accentuate her tanned skin graced with wrinkles that trace her features like wandering vines.

     The professor wears a modest brown dress with a high neckline. A loose black coat with wide sleeves drapes over her shoulders, giving her a broader shape and her dress a flowing figure. Her outfit radiates and mimics the colour of wet soil, complementing the colour of her sparkly eyes. Her skirt, covering her black loafers, sways subtly as she spins to face the door where Jean and Kevin have passed through.

     As the professor turns to face her students, her teeth shine like the brightest star in the cosmos. With a broad grin, she steps nearer the wooden stand and points her trusty stick towards the vacant two seats on the front benches, signalling Jean and Kevin to sit there. Jean and Kevin immediately understand her silent words and glance at the vacant seats on the front benches. They direct their attention to the empty seats, quietly making their way towards them, pulling out the chairs and settling in.

     Once settled, Jean and Kevin glance at each other in the eyes. Anticipation shimmers in their pupils as they raise their brows, a silent conversation passing between them. Redirecting their gaze towards the front of the classroom, Jean and Kevin's backs sink into their chairs as they tap their fingers across their broad desk's polished surface. Awaiting the moment to pass, they let their eyes wander, exploring the vast expanse of the ceiling above that seems to soar above the constellations.

"We made it," Kevin whispered, slightly smirking. "Just in the nick of time."