Chapter 6 (Part 1)

A few days pass by—and soon, the moon begins its slow ascent towards the centre of the celestial night sky. The crescent moon burns like freshly fallen snow, creating a striking contrast against the dark atmosphere. Stars dot the sky like specks of dust, twinkling like a sea of fireflies. As the wind roams around the campus, cold but soothing, the trees rustle and sway like skilled dancers.

     Although the night begins to settle into the land, the university shines brightly with vibrancy and exhilarating joy as the Acquaintance Ball commences. The windows shimmer with light as the school's interior flickers with warm candlelights that merrily traverse every corner. Conversations and giggles fill every nook and cranny within the campus, reaching as far as the outdoors and surrounding streets as hallways brim with eager students. As others stroll inside the corridors, others opt to meet the refreshing air in the school gardens where the fireflies take flight.

     Energy and laughter reverberate throughout the walls as students traverse every corridor within the university. With youthful joy seamlessly blending with the night, the white candles on the grand and enormous chandeliers spark rays of light reminiscent of the sun. As the school glimmers like a star, it becomes a bright beacon, shining against the veil of darkness of the cold night.

     The halls inside the university overflow with a river of students, creating a tumultuous flood of boys and girls. Students set off from their dorms and gather together as they begin a friendly conversation in the corridors, resulting in boisterous laughter and naughty giggles. Within the school, the air hums and buzzes with noise, a sound not created by chaos but by bliss.

     As the candles on the chandeliers burn, they bathe the hallways in a soft golden glow, the light reflecting on the gilded panellings of the white walls. As the light guides students along their path, students converge and meet, their grins blazing brightly with the lamps. Boys and girls begin their trek, marching down the hallway, their ears hearing muffled violins and cellos.

     Grand double doors swing open, their hinges groaning in protest, as students flow into the Gilded Chamber. The chamber extends as far as the eye can see, filling one's line of vision. The gold leaves painted on the walls shimmer under the lit chandeliers suspended in the lofty ceilings. On the ceiling, a majestic painting depicting heaven spreads out, accentuated by the lights surrounding the hall. The soft glow of the moonlight streams through the large arched windows that grace the halls, their gentle light lighting up the dance floor in the centre of the chamber.

     On the left side of the chamber, two men with cellos and two women with violins play, their bows gliding across the strings. The music hums, the notes resonating throughout the hall. As the music continues, more students pour into the chamber, filling every space.

     In the meantime, on the right side of the chamber, a mile-long wooden table concealed by a pristine white sheet stands and holds an array of meals and dishes. An assortment of enticing foods, including flavourful roasted lamb, succulent pork chop, tantalizing ham, steaming turkey, pasta trickled with red and white sauce, and juicy poached salmon with hollandaise sauce, lie atop the table, eagerly inviting the students for a taste. Desserts, such as dark chocolate cake, cupcake, fruit cake, and sponge cake, fill up the remaining space, along with drinks like lemonade, cucumber juice, and raspberryade.

     Tonight, students wear their finest clothes, with the boys wearing tailored suits and the girls donning exquisite dresses and gowns. The boys sport black suits with white vests and black ribbons matching their trousers. Meanwhile, the girls don lightweight gowns with bell-shaped figures. Their neckline drops low, revealing their collarbones, while their jewellery glows underneath the chandeliers' aura.

     Boys and girls pair into two, forming rows of lines along the dance floor of the ballroom-like chamber. With passionate smiles adorning their faces, they hold each other's hands, their soft palms exchanging warmth. Then, they begin spinning and swaying around the floor, dancing like the planets.

     Meanwhile, the others stand on the side of the ballroom, observing the show before them. They watch the others dance in the middle, smiling from ear to ear. As the moonlight passes through the windows and soaks the graceful dancers, more students surge through the grand double doors and enter the chamber, adding more joy to the space.