Chapter 18: Kin for the Win

Kin was starting to get used to the nights of pleasant sleep, nights with no nightmares, no bad memories. She smiled at the scent of Oz all over the sheets beside her. Carefully Kin climbed out of bed, she took a step and wobbled "Oz?" 

              Emmerson came around the corner into the room "Uncle Oz went to the store, he's planning a bunch of stuff for you." He watched Kin try and stand "Should you be doing that?"

             "Probably not, come help me to the couch okay?" He nodded and let her lean on him. Kin slowly made her way to the sitting room and with Emmerson's help she made a little nest on the couch.

              "Here, something to do." Emmerson handed her the laptop "If you need anything just holler. It's too icky to be outside today so we are just downstairs" He grinned and Kin saw the boys in his face "We're making a mess outta the bedrooms."

              "That is just fine as long as you clean it up afterwards." She opened the laptop "I want to stay busy, I can either just waste money or do something useful."

               "People are always asking me for my stories, like I have a lot to tell. Maybe you should write a book... start a publishing company, that's what my dad's went to school for." He sighed "They have sucky jobs right now."

              "I like that idea. Thank you..." She smiled at him "How about this, you and your sibling write, and illustrate a children's book and I will publish it. It can be about anything, because the only people to see it will be people within our community." She smiled at the joy that quickly spread across Emmerson's face.

              "Yes," He jumped up and down laughing, "Thank you Aunt Kin." He ran out calling for his siblings.

               Kin placed a video call first... "Hello...Kin, how are you? The girls were so sad when you retired." Beau's smile was the same as always, broad and uplifting to everyone who sees it.

             "Apparently someone is trying to kill me... again... so I am on bedrest and my new nephew, Emmerson suggested that I write a book." Kin giggled "And start a publishing company so he can too." 

              "Smart kid," Beaus smiled then looked off to the side for a second.

             "I'm sorry, are you busy, did I interrupt something?" Kin wondered why she didn't think of that earlier.

             "Yes, you did interrupt... But that's actually a good thing, it keeps us from all hurting each other in anger. All of us here are worried about your people, any news?"

             "Yes, the off-balance is causing the disputes there is a theory." Kin sighed with frustration "I am not permitted to say it's fact because certain members of my species don't think I'm right. However, the majority vote says I am." Kin rolled her eyes "The issue is arrogance, it hinders the shifting base of my people. The people in charge were getting big heads."

            Beau laughed "So there is a change of leadership?"

             "To start with, yes. Each unique variation will be getting its own council. Those to be declared Elders are the only members of my species that are allowed on the alpha council. We are allowing each uniqueness to be itself. I believe that is the problem, we are too busy trying to shove everyone into one box that we aren't taking the time to celebrate our individual uniqueness."

                Beau frowned "And they don't think you are right?" 

              "If I am right they are to blame for this... it's a 'she is wrong or we're screwed' thing" she smirked. Beau shook his head and sighed "Tell me about it. Thankfully I have Toka, Toak and Kota helping me be heard and getting the word to all the different variations. They have stopped the fighting. Have you heard that the wolf packs here register as Yeti?" His eyes got wide "As in, their source is us."