Chapter64: Realisations

Kakashi had been Tsunade's right hand for a long time now but, ever since Tama left, the workload had become brutal. To make matters worse, the woman had sent Shizune to search for the girl, so he was dealing with some of the things she was in charge of. Who would have thought that a medic would be so capable? He knew that Shizune was skilled, but like this? Is this why Tsunade wanted her to be head of the medical department? She became a Totsubeku Jōnin so easily too, specialising in war strategies. Why was Kakashi so shocked?

"You're spacing out.", Tsunade said, irritated. Kakashi cleared his throat.

"Sorry, I was just thinking about something that Tama said to me before leaving for her trip that one time.", he said as he fixed a stack of paper. This job was so tiresome. If ever he were to become Hokage, he surely wouldn't cope.

"Well? What did she say?", Tsunade asked. Kakashi paused. It was such a sensitive thing to talk about, and there was no evidence. Was it wise to talk about it? This was the Hokage, surely he could tell her?

"I can't remember. It's like the whole conversation disappeared from my mind the moment she left that morning. I only remember that it had something to do with the Kyuubi's assualt thirteen years ago."

There was a long, gruesome moment of silence as Tsunade seemed to process what was being said. Kakashi couldn't quite meet her gaze.

"Do you trust her? Did she give you evidence of what she said?", she asked. Kakashi smiled.

"Hokage-sama, I don't remember anything, but there's always a trend where Tama successfully carries out a mission. First, she has a suspicion, and as long as it bothers her, she will consider everything around her to be a clue. Then, she begins an independent investigation, that's when she'll disappear for a while, usually weeks, leaving us to wonder what she's up to. Finally, if she wants to, she'll come back with compelling evidence, forcing the Hokage to launch an official investigation.", he said as he fixed a final stack of paper. He looked at Tsunade once more.

"I may not remember what she said to me, but I have good reason to believe that she's been investigating, despite how vague she was about it. That she hasn't reported it to you simply means that she seeks to deal with the situation herself.", Kakashi explained. Tsunade frowned.

"Why would she need to deal with it? The Kyuubi's assualt happened naturally, didn't it? Kushina was giving birth.", she asked. Kakashi shook his head.

"Sure, Sandaime-sama labelled it a natural disaster so it has to be just that, but Tama-san clearly has other ideas.", he said with much difficulty. Tsunade paused, annoyance nipping at her last bit of patience. However, there was such a big sense of unease in her heart that she could act on that.

"Does she think something caused the assault?", Tsunade asked. At this point, her heart was beating so fast that it might as well have jumped out her chest. Kakashi remained silent for a long time, before heaving a deep breath.

"Like I said, Hokage-sama, I can't remember."

Then, everything went silent. Did Tama do this om purpose? Did she somehow ise her sharingan to erase Kakashi's memory of whta she told him? The more she thought about it, the more uncomfortable she felt. That girl... Hopefully she was up to nothing outrageous. Or else Tsunade herself would have to deal with her.

...

Akira was especially impressed with Tama's capabilities. She might as well have been a god with how she revived so many people. Right now, a portion of the Uzumaki clan was alive and well thanks to her. Although it was actually kind of sad how she fell into a deep sleep right afterwards. According to granny Mizubana, Tama was tired from carrying out patrols, travelling, and then reviving these people in close succession. She need her rest.