Chapter5: Time Out

Tamakiku had been a terrible patient, often skipping meals and refusing medication. The medics were unable to heal or treat her very efficiently because of this.
She truly wasn't letting them help her.

In truth, she wasn't willing to be helped.

As such she wasn't deemed fit to be left to her own devices. However, Tama wasn't very keen on staying any longer in the infirmary, she had insisted that they let her go time and time again. When they refused for the fifth time, she simply escaped.

If it wasn't for the Anbu watchmen around the area she really would have gotten far. However, she was sent back faster than when she gotten out. From then onwards, there was always a pair of watchmen nearby, ready for anything, just in case she tried again.

The Hokage came around the next day fir a short visit. They conversed mildly about what would sound odd to the ears of civilians.

"I remember the look in both of their eyes. I could tell that something was wrong.", Tama confessed, her voice so hoarse and ragged that it sounded painful for her to just speak.

The Hokage offered her some water, which she refused. Yes, it was painful, but it really wouldn't kill her. He placed the cup on the side table. Instead, the girl ate the warm Udon meal that he had brought her.

"This isn't something he would just do. It's not something anyone just does; not without provocation. Or, in this case, not without an order. He couldn't have been the one behind this.", she whispered as she leaned towards the Hokage, and he couldn't help but size her up. She was seething with silent rage, her newly acquired three tomoe Sharingan spinning wildly as a result. However, she was still weak and ill, so she had to be careful.

"Please, lie down Suzu- Tama-chan.", the Hokage said rather mildly.

Tama-chan...

The anbu in the room suddenly were on edge, she could almost feel it in her bones. She was one of them, she knew how reacted to hostile situations, and this casual visit was turning into one. Letting go of that thought, she rather noted how the Hokage had used her given name instead of her Anbu code name. She tensed upon realising that something was happening that probably wasn't in her favour.
As such, albeit reluctant, Tamakiku moved from where she was seated at the edge of the bed and laid back down under the thin sheets. She gazed at the man expectantly, feeling as though she knew what was about to be said to her.

Tama-chan.

"I know that you want to find out what happened, but there is far too great a danger in doing so.", the Hokage began, his gaze searching her own expectant one. "Before you do anything, I would like for you to think of the consequences. Young Sasuke would become a target to any enemy you may make along the way.", he explained as he set down his smoking pipe. Tama remained silent, not seeming to consider the man's words. The Hokage sighed at this and decided not to push the topic further.

Tama-chan?!

"Now, for the matter at hand...", he said, shifting the topic effectively. "I am afraid I must take you off the Anbu. Temporarily. So as to allow you time to recuperate from all that has happened.", he revealed, looking rather solemn as he said it, and he felt so as well. "I have decided to put you on a taining program under a Totsubeku Jounin, your department leader will meet bring him here tomorrow, and you will begin training as soon as you are ready."

There it was.

"I do not consent to this.", Tama angrily stated, resisting the urge to drive a fist into the wall beside her. The Hokage was not fazed by her resistance, he understood how she felt, but there was little he could do as he couldn't truly put himself in her shoes. She needed someone who could.