Chapter58: Regret

Kakashi wasn't one to think too much about certain things. He found it gave way to regret and hatred, and it was never worth the trouble. Ever since that day a year ago, when Tama approached him about Obito, he did his best not to linger on what she had said about his teammate. Tama tended to overthink things, he noticed this during the three years when she was under his guidance.

However, she also spent three months in his Anbu squad at first, and back then there was never an observation that she made that was wrong. This made him worry, because it meant that she might have been right about Obito.

At current, he and Asuma were walking together through the graveyard. He had come from Rin's grave, and Asuma from his father (third Hokage), and his mother's.

It was inevitable to turn away when they noticed Tama kneeling at the foot of Kushina and Minato's graves along the way. She had brought offerings, it seemed, but she wasn't her usual composed self. She was crying, bawling, actually.

Asuma looked at Kakashi, to see the man guiltily look away from the girl. He caught his friend's gaze and sighed.

"I couldn't even get there in time to do anything. I just stood there like an idiot while you fought for your lives. I couldn't even protect the boy from the village after that and... Now I'm living comfortably while he has to live like a nomad..."

She wheezed. Kakashi didn't want to hear anything, but it was too late to turn now. They had no choice but to walk past her. The atmosphere was immediately very awkward.

"Today Danzō reprimanded Tsunade-sama for putting too much faith in Naruto-kun, I couldn't even stop myself from strangling him. I can't take it anymore, oji-san, oba-chan. I can't hold back anymore. If I go on any longer, then I might kill someone by mistake. Please, give me the strength to go on. Help me to not dig myself a grave before I can help Naruto-kun.", she cried pitifully, barely breathing between words. Just as they finally got past her, she suddenly fell silent and there was a loud thud. The two men turned around instinctively, to find that she had fainted. What a coincidence that they had to be there.

"She still has these fainting spells?", Asuma asked, somewhat caught off guard. Kakashi pursed his lips. He really thought that these were long over.

"Apparently. Maybe it's chronic.", he said as he picked the girl up carefully. He pried her eyes open and studied them. There was some strain there that worried him, as if she had overused the Sharingan. However, the girl was clearly not doing so, so there aught to have been another explanation.

"I wonder if she still has those fits.", Asuma said as he crouched down next to the other man. Kakashi looked up at him, confused.

"Fits? What fits?", he asked. Asuma sighed.

"Remember when you brought her to my house after the Kyuubi's attack? She had a series of fits that day. I thought she would die. I don't know what it was, but my old man said that it was triggered by her emotional state. She was unconscious most of the time so I had to watch her while the old man prepared the funeral arrangements.

She couldn't wake up without having an episode, and I'll be honest, I was freaked out. So one day I went to check on her and try to get her to eat. She was gone. We thought she went back home, but then her mom came over to look for her. I think she might have thought about running away then.

A few days later, she was back to her usual self. Also, when the old man was in hospital, I asked around and found out that he was supposed to die on that roof. So she tampered with the jutsu that was supposed to kill him so he could say goodbye to Konohamaru and I. After that was done, she fainted immediately, but the medics said there was nothing wrong so tgey didn't admit her.", he said. Kakashi blinked. Why didn't anyone tell him about this? The third Hokage told him all about Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke, yet he didn't bother with Tama. Why? He slowly rose to his feet.