Chapter55: Kumogakure No Sato(edited)

It hadn't been three days after Tama left for Konoha that Itachi made an appearance near Shisui's hideout. He was left with the girls to keep them safe, and it was them that made him aware of the sudden intrusion. They were outside, 'playing' with deadly jutsu when they both scrambled for cover, calling for Shisui rather frantically. Naturally, Shisui thought that one of them had finally been struck and was dying, so he was quick to respond.

Now, he and Itachi stood face to face, Akira and Karin keeping a safe distance as they huddled together. Itachi studied Shisui intently before finally speaking.

"It's good to see you again, brother.", he said. Shisui nodded, adopting an easy going smile as he went to sit down on the front veranda.

"I didn't expect to see you again so soon, Itachi.", he said, taking a sip from his cup of piping hot tea. He was in the middle of a reading session when the girls diturbed him, a habit that he picked up during Tama's regular visits. That girl was always reading and drinking tea, sometimes she even travelled with a kettle which she would heat up using her chakra.

Now, he was quite glad that the sisters reacted the way that they did. He invited Itachi to sit next to him, which he did quite readily.

"I still can't believe that you're alive.", Itachi said, not quite meeting his gaze. Shisui chuckled, a sound that sounded all too foreign to Itachi's ears after having seen him die. Even after three years, Shisui couldn't believe it either. However, Tama wouldn't let him die no matter how much he wanted to. When he first woke up, he asked her why she saved him. Her answer was that he didn't deserve to die. He was no fool; while those words would sound compassionate to the normal shinobi, Shisui knew that she meant that he deserved to suffer instead. That had to be why she took advantage of his deathly state and bound his soul. Now he couldn't die if he tried.

"I can't believe it either. I also can't believe I'm here taking care of her girls while she goes on a joyride.", Shisui said. The joyride he was talking about was, in fact, a killing spree. Something he just knew she would do because that's what she always did.

"Maybe if you stop referring to us as 'her girls' then you would have a better time interacting with us! We're her sisters, and we have names!", Akira screeched from not far away, Karin held her back as she tried to approach the older males. Shisui chuckled.

"You consider Tama-chan to be your sister?", Itachi asked, startling both girls. Stunned into silence, Karin pursed her lips. Eyes wide as saucers.

"Of course we do! More than the both of you ever would! The same applies to Sasuke-kun!", Akira declared heartily. She broke free of Karin's hold and ran to Shisui's side.

Itachi cast the shadow of a smile.

"I see.", he said as he rose to his feet. There was a bento box that he had come with. He picked it up and offered it to the girl before him. "Then this is my peace offering to the two of you, Uzumaki Akira and Karin. I believe that you'll be pleased with it."

Akira was quick to open the box without taking it, and immediately turned bright red at the sight of plenty of Mitirashi dango.

"What is it?", Karin asked, still keeping her distance. Akira didn't answer her for a very long time. After a long pause, she closed the bento box and sighed in disappointment. Oh how she disappointed in herself. Her soft spot for Tama led her to let her guard down in front of Itachi. At least Shisui was there in case anything happened.

"Dango.", she said, and Karin was at her side in an instant.

"Alright then, other Uchiha brother, we'll take your offering, but that doesn't mean we trust you.", she said seriously. Shisui laughed.