Chapter17: Snake In The Grass

"They've gone loose!", one bulky man yelled as he entered the room. He was met with the sight of the three Anbu waiting and ready for a show. They immediately tried to recapture them, but were met with a tough resistance.

This time, they really fought them. The men were easily outsmarted and outmatched using the sly, underhanded methods that Anbu were known(and feared) for. Three of the men ended up being tied up and locked in the storage instead.

That was phase two of their plan complete.

Perfect.

Phase one had been to find and enter the headquarters of the operation, which was achieved by allowing themselves to be captured. Phase two was to capture some people and adopt their identities. So they used the transformation jutsu to look like their captors. Now that that was done, it was time for phase three, which was to enter the main base. Then, they would steal as much information as possible.

The last of the men was knocked out and taken with the squad. They left immediately. The idea was to further formulate a course of action, and see just where all the children(mainly orphans) were disappearing to.

"The mastermind's name is Subaru. Tosuke Subaru. He's a daimyō's son.", Fukurō reported to his teammates. They ran through the dark streets of the village, heading for the where their target lived. Suzume and Oukami hummed in acknowledgement. They shared a look, although it couldn't be seen under their masks.

This changed everything. A person in power dealing in, kidnapping, possible slave trading and drugs. This was where all that missing money was going as well, then. They had to get back to Konoha as soon as possible if they wanted to get anywhere with this information.

Tosuke Subaru was the third son of the Daimyō of Land of Fire. The thought of him leading such operations was disheartening.

"I'll take this one. You guys look around the outer parts of the residence. We'll meet back here in three days.", Suzume said as they entered at clearing behind the Subaru estate. Turning to face her teammates, she said, "You know what to do."

"Yes.", they said in unison. They gave her a curt nod, and she turned to leave, leaping back up onto the high walls overhead.

"Goodluck.", Fukurō called after her.

[Fukurō, Suzume and Oukami]

...

Meanwhile, back in Konoha, the supreme council was in a frenzy.

The Hokage watched, unimpressed, as they argued among themselves.

Ibiki stood before them, somewhat rigid with tension. If the Faction Captains heard of this, they would surely retaliate. Luckily for the council, they didn't mingle with them.