Chapter23: The Talk

[⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️: Implications of induced miscarriage]

"Uchiha-san, Wasabi-sama would like to see you in the courtyard.", a soft voice called from outside.

Shisui paused, halfway through his meditation, and breathed a tired sigh.

"What for?", he asked. There was a brief pause.

"A message has come, from Uchiha-hime.", the woman said. Shisui immediately perked up. Tama had been gone for the longest time imaginable, he was starting to think she had gotten in trouble back in the village.

"Alright, then. May you please help me?"

When he arrived, Ryosuke was drinking tea, as per usual. The sound of pouring water and sipping gave him away. The attendant helped Shisui to sit down before being dismissed, leaving the boy alone with the samurai.

"I'm pleased to see you are well, Uchiha-san.", the man said, once the attendant was long gone. Shisui smiled a genuine smile, bringing a finger to scratch an itch under the bandages on his eyes.

"Likewise, Wasabi-san.", he began. Ryosuke guided his hand to a cup of tea, which he gladly accepted. "Thank you. I hear you've recieved word from Tama-san?"

The man nodded, then paused, remembering that the person in front of him was without eyes.

"Yes, a letter and a scroll. A messenger hawk arrived earlier this morning.", he said, casting the boy a brief glance.

"I see.", Shisui said.

That must have been the last straw, because Ryosuke burst out laughing immediately. The whole conversation was a running joke about Shisui's blindness. The boy didn't miss this, and he too found himself chuckling in amusement.

"Indeed, shall I read the letter to you?", Ryosuke finally said, still fighting for breath. Shisui nodded, an appreciative smile gracing his features. Ryosuke unfolded a piec of paper and cleared his throat.

"My regards, Wasabi-san, please read this letter to my dear friend.

Shisui-san, I should like to hope you fare well. I am currently in a difficult position, in a dangerous place. So I cannot write too much.

I recenctly confronted Itachi-san in an altercation, when I revealed to him that you are alive. I had concluded, on my own terms, that you had him take your eyes in order to prevent, you-know-who, from getting them. Rightly so, I would discover, as my brother readily gave them to me once I told him about you.", Ryosuke read, before pausing. He blinked several times, confused.

"You shinobi take each other's eyes?"

Shisui laughed lightly and said, "It's a long story. I'll tell you how it works afterwards."

Ryosuke, still confused, turned his gaze back to the letter.

"In the scroll is a jar containing your eyes. I found that Itachi-san kept them alive by submerging them in chakra circulating water. In order to release them, please exert into it negative white chakra and positive black chakra at a ratio of 1 to 1.

I should see you in three weeks time. Until then, please stay safe."

Shisui remained silent for a long time, his expression indestructible.

"I thought he would have destroyed them by now.", he said to himself. He shook his head, dismissing the thought. Ryosuke placed the little scroll in his hand. Still deeply confused. A piece of paper containing a jar? Shinobi really were something else.

"I'm afraid I'll need your help with this, Wasabi-san.", the boy said, rising to his feet. Ryosuke followed suit, wonder shining brightly in his gaze.

"Of course."