Chapter62: Rinne

"You say you used Izanami for this?", Shisui asked carefully. Tama nodded, not looking away from her work. Shisui pursed his lips. Ever since she was completely free of the soul binding seal, she had manipulated her Mangekyō Sharingan into completely mutating so that it acted like an enhanced version of itself. (However there was still that other seal, the one that looked suspicious, which suddenly appeared after she released Mizubana.)

This was how she was able to create a new, living body for Mizubana. It was not a shock, Izanami was not much different from the ancient power of creation itself, and because of its dire consequences, almost no one had made use of it in the past. As compared to this power, it was only a slightly different technique since Izanami only manipulated time and space so that it decided an outcome and wrote out reality.

This... It was like a low level power of creation, and if his memory severed him right, Tama should have been blind by now.

"With your power, you could revive both your parents' clans and manipulate them into finding peace.", Mizubana said as she studied her new body, where she sat on the floor. It was fairly young as compared to how old she really was, but it wasn't bad. Tama was actually not a push over.

"You created this body from scratch? It can sustain chakra?", Shisui asked. Tama nodded, a maniacal grin on her usually dull face. Shisui hummed as he considered the odds of her finally having gone mad, looking between Tama and the very old woman before her.

"Did you complete the mask?", Mizubana asked. Tama nodded.
She brought out the mask that Mizubana had asked about. She worked on it for only a few days while travelling to the Bamboo forest from the border. It was faceless and held no particular features. At this, Mizubana stopped herself short of taking it, looking between the mask and Tama.

"A yōkai? Noppera bō, of all things?", she asked, her eyes brimming with curiosity. She took the mask and studied it. "What does it do?"

Shisui was lost at this point, and the sisters were in no better state, but they listened nonetheless.

"Not Noppera Bō, but similar. It allows the user to summon any Kami, taking on the features once the Kami is present. It eradicates the need to switch between masks. If you look at it closely you'll see that there are several seals on it that make this possible, the main one being my grandmother's eight trigram soul binding seal."

"I see. You're a brilliant child then, to be able to adapt a soul seal to fit into a summoning seal. We'll have to test it and see if it has any limits.", Mizubana said. Tama smiled sweetly but said nothing as she turned to pick up her bag.

"We must get going. I have a surprise for you, Akira-chan and Karin-chan.", she said. She then looked at Shisui and nodded curtly. "I should like to hope that you're coming with us."

He paused, not quite sure how to respond. The last he checked, he was bound to her no matter what he wanted. Tama seemed to notice this train of thought and smiled knowingly.

"You can stay if you want to. I know that by now, you're really tired from all the time you've spent with the girls. They're a handful.", she said. Shisui couldn't help but smile, almost bitterly, as he closed his eyes.

How considerate of his captor to give him the choice of staying alone. What would he do? Stare at the pond and listen to the pandas and foxes in the distance? No. Of course he wouldn't. He couldn't possibly. It would be a waste of good energy. He would go and avoid death by boredom.

...

If not for the fact that Tama had confirmed that it wasn't an actual hideout, Tsunade would've sent people to the Akatsuki's base in Amegakure. Apparently, they had an actual, more dangerous hideout in the Land of Rivers, and it was impossible to get to given the amount of Jōnin that failed to locate it directly. At this point, to send out teams with no information was a big risk.