Chapter 61

"What is this place?" Leonis asked, looking up in awe.

With a proud grin stretching across my face, I spread my arms wide, soaking in the grandeur of the arena. "Welcome to the royal coliseum!"

I could feel my fingers twitching in excitement as my voice resonated through the vast expanse.

Leonis's eyes widened in disbelief as he took in the impressive sight before him. "This isn't... Is this the arena used for the grand duels?!"

"You're correct! This is where the grand duels take place."

"Magnificent," he breathed, his eyes scanning the colossal structure. "I can't even begin to imagine what it's like when it's filled with spectators."

"Trust me, it can get quite noisy," I replied with a chuckle.

Four years had passed since the last time I'd been here. There had been a sea of bodies stretching out to every corner of the stadium. I still remembered how loud and ecstatic the crowd was that day. At least until Valtair decapitated Lord Alistair...

"So, why are we here?" Leonis asked, his voice bringing me back to the present.

I rolled my eyes playfully, knowing he was feigning ignorance. "Stop playing dumb. You know damn well why we're here!"

A mischievous smile tugged at his lips as Leonis raised his arms in surrender. "All right, all right... you win."

I was exhausted. I'd barely gotten any sleep. For the last two days, all I could think about was this moment.

Unable to contain my curiosity any longer, I leaned forward in anticipation. "Did... did it work? Did I heal your core?"

For a moment, Leonis remained silent, his expression unreadable. Just from looking at his body, there were no clear indications of any change whatsoever. Or at least from where I stood... Just as a pang of worry began to tighten my chest, I noticed his lips curling into a grin.

That freaking bastard!

"Whatever you did, it worked," Leonis affirmed.

As the last syllable left his mouth, I felt a shiver crawl up my spine, the temperature in the air shifting imperceptibly. Even though it lasted for less than a second, I sensed it. It was intense. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced... It was a cold and sharp force that left me breathless.

What... what was that?!

"That my young friend, is what you call sword aura," Solomon explained.

"Sword aura?"

"Wait!" Leonis exclaimed. "You were able to feel that?"

Realizing I'd just spoken out loud, I scratched the back of my head and chuckled.

Leonis's eyes widened in awe. "I can't believe you were able to sense my aura... That's incredible..."

Before I could come up with a reply, Leonis dropped to his knees and lowered his head.

"Uhhh, what are you doing?!" I asked.

"I'm grateful," Leonis murmured. "Although I had my doubts initially, I see now that you are a man of your word. You are most definitely someone worth serving."

"Can you please stand up," I urged, a tad uneasy with the overt display. "There's no need for such displays."

"Fair enough." Leonis chuckled softly as he stood up, brushing the sand from his pants.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, sensing a wave of relief flow through my body. Now that I was sure Solomon's spell had worked, I could finally rest easy.