Chapter 30

The tension in the air was palpable as I walked into the living room. Felix sat at the head of the table with his arms crossed. He glanced up as I entered, his gaze filling with anger.

"You're out," he stated firmly, his voice laced with frustration.

Confusion washed over me. "Out of what?"

"You're out of the mission!" he snapped.

The table rattled as my fist struck it in frustration. "Bullshit!"

Felix stood up abruptly and pointed to the chair across from him. "Sit the fuck down!"

Reluctantly, I sunk into the seat, letting out a sigh of defeat. The situation felt utterly ridiculous.

"You left Violet on her own. That's what's bullshit!" Felix exclaimed.

I shrugged. "If she had listened to me, we wouldn't have split off."

Felix stood up from his chair, circled the table, and grabbed me by the collar. "Violet was doing the mission. She was following my orders... You, on the other hand, abandoned the mission. You abandoned Violet... It would have been on your head if something had happened to her."

The sound of Violet clearing her throat pierced through the air. "I don't see what the big deal is... You guys know I can take care of myself, right?"

I shoved Felix's hands away, freeing myself from his grip. "If you touch me again, it won't end with just a shove."

With fury burning in his eyes, Felix drank a glass of whiskey before hurling it across the room. The sound of glass shattering echoed through the air.

"You think you're tough, eh?" Felix taunted. "Fine then... Fight me and see what happens, you little shit!"

Before our confrontation could escalate further, Soren, Elandril, and Pascal burst into the room, swiftly intervening and separating us. Felix stormed out, his angry footsteps echoing in his wake.

I took a deep breath and clenched my fists. The temptation to chase after him was strong, but I resisted. I needed to clear my mind.

"Sorry about that," Soren said, touching my shoulder. "Felix can get hot-headed when it comes to things like this."

"What things?"

"Leaving a teammate behind..."

"I didn't leave anyone behind. I saw an opportunity to discover who these mercenaries were. That's all."

"Regardless of your reasons, you still left Violet on her own. We all trusted you to watch her back," he said, his words hitting me hard.

I looked up at the ceiling, feeling a weight of guilt settle on my shoulders. Soren was right, and it was hard to deny it. The team had entrusted me with Violet's safety and I let them down. I had to face the consequences.

"You're right. I'm sorry."

"It's not me you have to apologize to," Soren said, eyeing Violet as she walked into the kitchen.

"Very well, then," I said, forcing myself to my feet. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck!"

Stepping into the kitchen, I heard the clinking sound of plates and felt the cool air from the fridge. Violet was in front of the fridge, her brows furrowed in concentration as she rummaged through its contents. She looked hungry.

"What are you looking for?" I asked, leaning against the counter.

"I'm starving."

"I see..."