28. peace bethine

TWENTY-EIGHT: PEACE BETHINE

JOSEPHINE WAS TOO DRUNK TO PARTICIPATE IN MASS MURDER, Rick concluded and assigned her to stay in church; she must be hammered if she thought leaving is the best solution

JOSEPHINE WAS TOO DRUNK TO PARTICIPATE IN MASS MURDER, Rick concluded and assigned her to stay in church; she must be hammered if she thought leaving is the best solution. When she clearly said she wanted to stay together, how could she just leave him?

    He accepts he might have fucked up. So he channels all that anger and rage into killing the assholes in front of him.

   Sasha and LT shoot the two men about to storm the rectory. Their heads thump against the wall before falling backward.

   "Put your guns on the floor and kneel."

   "We'll fire right into that office, Rick, so you lower your gun." Sasha shoots two fingers off his hand and quiets him. Quickly he and the others comply.

   Michonne and LT remove the weapon from the woman knelt on the left of the church. Beside them, Benny holds his pistol at the back of a man's head and waits for the signal from Rick. The leader claims Gareth as his, Sasha narrows her eyes on Martin, and Abraham guards the larger man on the right.

   "I already made you a promise."

   In the motion of unsheathing his machete, the others follow and land the fateful blows. Rick slashes Gareth even after he reaches organs and bones; LT kicks the woman in the stomach and stands on her lungs causing her to suffocate at the same time she gets her skull caved in; Benny pistol whips the man so he can look into his eyes as he repeatedly punches him in the face with the gun until the man is unrecognizable; Sasha pins Martin on the balcony and drives her knife up his throat, watching as the edge passes through his muscles and peeks through his mouth; Abraham uses the butt of the rifle to kill the man and once his bones are shattered he stomps on his head for good measure.

   Michonne stares at LT as she completely obliterates the woman. It's chilling to know what they are capable of, but Michonne fears the day they can't return from something as or more horrific. She knows what it is like to disappear into the darkness, she doesn't want to pull her family into that.

   "This yours?" LT holds out the familiar sword to her. Dangerous, yet comforting, a formula that has kept her alive. Accepting, Michonne slips it into its sheath and moves past the bodies. She passes by Gabriel and Josephine who exit from their confines.

   Guts, blood, and brain matter paint the holy ground.

   They didn't deserve to live, but did they deserve this? Josephine can't help but think of her father once more. He wouldn't be okay with this, and the disappointment he would have felt, Josephine feels it so profoundly now. 

   Shell-shocked and still reeling from the events, no one can sleep. They discard the corpses before they begin to stink. On a bedsheet they pile the bodies and drag them outside to the side, to bury them when the sun rises.