26. heart of a serpent

TWENTY-SIX: HEART OF A SERPENT

THE ENORMOUS GUNFIRE FROM TERMINUS instantly invade Josephine and Matthew's senses

THE ENORMOUS GUNFIRE FROM TERMINUS instantly invade Josephine and Matthew's senses. Without a second thought, Jo leaves behind her husband in pursuit to Intervene in the possible harm of Rick Grimes.

She's too late. Behind the edge of the tree line they can see Rick, Michonne, Daryl, and Carl entering a train car. Jo almost leaps from her position if it were not for Matthew yanking her back. Motioning around at all the fingers on triggers, the duo pulls back to rethink the plan.

"Ough, I never should have listened to you," Josephine groans, balling her hands and rubbing the top of her head in frustration.

"There's too many of them to take them head on." Matthew tries his best to console her.

"We should have gone last night and slit all their throats in their sleep." She drops her hands to her hips, shaking her head, turning around to glare at a flock of birds passing through the branches. "Now Rick, and. . ."

With her back to Matthew, Josephine can drop her defensive features and allow the fear to take over. She could have prevented this and now there's a possibility that she will never feel his warmth on her, have his heartbeat in sync with hers, or have a sense of trust and feeling of security ever again. The fear of living without Rick Grimes feels very real and it completely rattles her mind and heart.

"We could try it tonight—"

"No," Josephine cuts him off, wiping the waterworks from her eyes. "They're on high alert, so we need to do this quietly."

Holstering her pistol, she takes out her knife. Her fingers trembling at the idea of taking more lives. Gripping the handle tighter, she forces any scared, weak thoughts out of her head and focuses on returning Rick safe and sound back to her side. Matthew follows her motions, pulling her from her trance.

"Alright," She speaks again when they're a few meters hidden in the trees behind the terminus building. "I want them dead before they ever hit the ground. I'll go right and you go left, and meet at the train where we saw them go in."

Jo stands to begin the massacre, but Matthew grips her elbow and pulls her down. "No, we're not splitting up. I just got you back, I'm not losing you again."

His hold on her tightness as the seconds pass, and Josephine doesn't miss the anger raging in his eyes. This is the man she has never met, yet so many have been disgraced to have discovered in their last minutes of life.

With her other hand, she gently tears his hand away from her. "You're not going to lose me."

Giving him one last reassuring nod, together they sneak inside the wolf's den.

Two people stood guarding the door; in synchronization, Matthew and Josephine sneak up on them, one hand covering their mouths and the other slices across their throat. Laying them quietly down, their two puddles of blood join in between the two corpses. Without a flinch of remorse, the Steele couple continue onwards.