17. the cover of darkness

SEVENTEEN:  THE COVER OF DARKNESS

WITH THE SUN DIRECTLY ABOVE THEIR HEADS, Hershel grabs his crutches, stands from the wooden stool he sat while instructing Rick and Carl how wide a space they should leave for the next row of soybeans, and announces they should head inside for lunch

WITH THE SUN DIRECTLY ABOVE THEIR HEADS, Hershel grabs his crutches, stands from the wooden stool he sat while instructing Rick and Carl how wide a space they should leave for the next row of soybeans, and announces they should head inside for lunch. The trio walks together up the gravel path, and Carl asks how long before the seeds take root. But before the experienced farmer could answer, the sound of engines catch their attention.

   Two people from the fence run over to open the gates, expecting it to be their latest runners who were due yesterday. Though it wasn't a must-follow rule, the council had set a few parameters for when people went out of the prison: give an estimate of how long you'll be, and if you aren't back then, you'll have twenty-four hours to make your way back before there will eventually be a search party sent out.

   Daryl rides in first in his motorcycle and a black Chevrolet Tahoe with the windows tinted parks behind him. Rick and Hershel hold their breaths, waiting for the driver to exit.

   With a sigh, Josephine steps out. Then the trio take in their appearance. Josephine and Daryl have white dust and splashes of crimson covering their bodies, along with remnants of dried blood wiped at the edges of their hairline.

   "Where's Oscar?" Hershel is the one to break the silence.

   Josephine looks down in guilt and motions behind her at the car at the same time Daryl continues to expel his pent-up rage.

   "Some lunatic got him killed. We were scouting that hotel we talked about," Daryl explains motioning to him and Josephine. "Son of a bitch was hoarding walkers, led us to get surrounded. We caught up to him and he took one shot at Oscar before taking himself out."

   Rick glances down at his son, gauging his reaction before turning to Daryl, who shares a look with Josephine when he finishes recounting the scene. Rick's attention shifts to her, expecting her to add something to their inquisitions.

    "I gotta go dig a hole," is all she says before walking off to grab the supplies.

   As the sun dips behind the large prison walls, Oscar finally rests gently underground. Josephine sits at the foot of his grave, staring at the wooden cross and his treasured end-of-the-day slippers.

   Daryl, who had helped her dig, returned inside, Carl and Hershel left once they could barely see the outline of their hands in front of them. Rick, on the other hand, would only leave if she decides it was time. But she makes no effort to move, so he goes to her.

   She rests her chin on her propped-up knees which her hands wrap around loosely. He tries to not disturb her silence as he sits down on her right side, leaving his left leg stretched out and the other closer to his chest. A heartbeat passes before she begins.

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐃  ✧  𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗸 𝗴𝗿𝗶𝗺𝗲𝘀On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara