15. unraveling

FIFTEEN:  UNRAVELING

JOSEPHINE CANNOT SAFELY SLEEP, so she takes this time to prepare herself, the car, and their bags, all before the trio awakens and the morning sun peeks from the horizon

JOSEPHINE CANNOT SAFELY SLEEP, so she takes this time to prepare herself, the car, and their bags, all before the trio awakens and the morning sun peeks from the horizon. She changes from the black shirt and hoodie to a brown turtleneck, keeping the dog tags over her shirt, but sliding her golden necklace underneath. Undoing her braids, she brushes her hair and ties it into a simple half-halo braid behind her head, connecting the ends with a rubber band, helping her keep any hair from obscuring her face for today.

   "Hey, you're up early," Rick steps into the common area, adjusts his belt holster, and rubs the sleep from his eyes.

   "Huh, yeah, uh, natural circadian rhythm," Josephine stops cleaning her gun and begins to assemble it again. "Do you have in mind where we're going to look?"

   "I was thinking, maybe," Rick trails off as he sees the empty jug of water and searches for more in the recently added pantry. Josephine slides the clip into her Glock and stands from her seat to hand him her water bottle. "Thank you," He says after he takes a hefty gulp and returns it to her. "I was thinking of the sheriff station I used to work at. Last time I was there, left a couple of guns behind, might be some ammo left."

   Josephine gives a silent okay and nods. She begins to walk away, but upon seeing the darkness under her eyes, Rick places two fingers in the crevice of her elbow and keeps her in their shared closeness.

   "Are you okay?" He tilts his head down to closely examine her.

   Lowering her gaze to hide the evident signs of night terrors in her eyes, she clears her throat and rolls her shoulders back to move away from his stinging touch.

   "Yeah, I'm just gonna, I'll be right back." She says and leaves him to enter the shared cell of her father and Beth's.

   She plants light kisses to their foreheads, whispering, "I'll be back soon," quietly enough to not disturb their slumber. When she returns to the common area, Michonne and Carl have joined Rick, the former seated away from the duo.