24. moonlight interlude

warnings: mentions of rape + suicide + graphic/non graphic sex scenes + ((also I'm not a writing a nobel prize winner you've been warned))

TWENTY-FOUR:  MOONLIGHT INTERLUDE

"IS THIS BECAUSE I ASKED YOU TO MARRY ME?"

   Josephine froze when his voice bounced off the clean hospital walls. She scanned the hallway and caught a few judgmental glances her way. She raised a sharp brow in their direction and they scurried back to work before turning back to Matthew.

   "Not here," She told him and dropped the patient's chart at the nurse's station. Pinching his inner elbow, she dragged him to the nearest supply closet, pushed him inside and quietly shut the door before leaning against it. "You cannot do that."

   Matthew's mouth parted and squinted his eyes at her, confused about why she hadn't answered his most crucial question first. He scratched his growing beard before his hands moved to his hips, his dark charcoal three-thousand dollar suit creasing into his side.

   "You cannot go in there and not allow me to do my job," Josephine reprimanded him, waving her hand around so her face wouldn't showcase her anger. "Much less undermine my authority when I am with my patient."

   "Do you even know who he is?" Matthew whisper-shouted when Josephine motioned with her hand to lower his voice.

   "I don't care who he is, he—"

   "He raped sixteen pregnant women and physically ripped out their children from their stomachs," He explained with personal rage, taking in her expression. Her soft, compassionate eyes downturn in sympathy for the same women she could have been in their place. "He's a sadistic piece of shit."

   "And I'm his doctor," Josephine sighed as if it were a point capable of changing his mind.

   "How can you be on this case? Why does it have to be you?" Matt lowered himself to Jospehine's face, to emphasize his clear disdain for the man handcuffed in the private room for the worst of criminals. "After what happened to you, how can you treat him?"

   Josephine sighed through her nose once more. She allowed a heartbeat to pass, in case he wanted to add something else, and clasped her hands in front of her. Her white coat crinkled at the movement. Straightening her back, she cleared her throat and looked back up at him,  her eyes changing from their natural doe-shape to narrow and domineering.

   "Special Agent Steele, I have no obligation to explain any of my decisions to you." She reached behind and twisted the doorknob. "So, if you'll excuse me, I have patients waiting for me to save their lives. I suggest you go back to work and try to do the same."

   Without another word, she pulled the door open and left him to tend to the fresh guilt he had held on his heavy shoulders ever since he answered that fateful phone call notifying him the mother of his child had been shot. It was the scariest moment in his life; it was more terrifying than being caught in the crossfire between enemy lines, it was scarier than seeing his own father be gunned down right in front of him at the very young age of seven.