18. more than a friend

EIGHTEEN: MORE THAN A FRIEND

"YOU KNOW, BENJAMIN'S A NICE MAN," Her father softly interrupts the quiet peacefulness they sit comfortably in

"Yeah, he is," Josephine mumbles and continues counting the green capsules of Cephalexin with her pen.

They resume their silence, Hershel trying to come up with a better way to bring up the conversation. She writes the number 17 beside the name of the drug on her yellow notepad with the list of their inventory; she grabs the small basket with the pills, pours them back into the orange prescription bottle, and moves on to count the Cyanocobalamin.

"Jo." She hums but doesn't look up, so he instead calls her by her full name. She rolls her head, moving the small strands of her bangs that slip from the bandana pulled back on her head, and gives her full attention to him. He stands from his seat in the corner and walks over to sit beside her on her bed, she slides down and turns her body to him.

"I know it was difficult to lose Matthew," —Josephine inhales deeply, a sharp pain in her chest, she hasn't thought of him recently.— "And I understand what that's like, I really do, far more than I would have thought I could ever understand. But I also learned how to love again."

"Dad—" He grabs her hands and she closes her mouth.

"I want you to love again."

Josephine smiles, "I already have enough love. I have you, Maggie, and Bethy."

"Yes, but . . ." Josephine slightly furrows her brows at his hesitance. "I don't want you to think you aren't allowed to move on, you are. And I know no one will replace Matthew. . . I just want you to be happy, honey."

Josephine can't suppress her watery eyes. So he won't see, she brings her hands around his neck and lays her head on his right shoulder, he leans into her and gently rubs her arm up and down.

"I am happy, daddy. I'm happy right here."

His words reside with her even after they finish their work. She's surviving and living to protect her family; Matthew gave her that chance, and she's eternally grateful to have had him, even if it was for such a short time. The special place in her heart where her love for Matthew occupied will always follow her, and now is a simple love story of her past. But opening her heart to another man, in a world where tomorrow is never promised?

"There you are," A voice sighs in relief as he lingers at her doorway.

"Here I are," Josephine chuckles at her dumb self from her crouching position where she locks the small cabinet of drugs beside her bunk bed. Pulling the key from the slot, she twists around and stands to face him, eyebrows raised in curiosity. "What's going on?"

"I think Georgie broke his tibia, or his fibula," Benny twists his left arm trying to understand the anatomy before giving up. "I confuse the two."

"Did the bone pierce through his skin?" Josephine questions, already grabbing the extra supplies and tossing them into her go-to emergency backpack.