05. the torture

FIVE: THE TORTURE

TIME HAD PASSED BEFORE THEIR VERY EYES, outside had turned dark as if the sun knew of their sin and disappeared from shame and fear

TIME HAD PASSED BEFORE THEIR VERY EYES, outside had turned dark as if the sun knew of their sin and disappeared from shame and fear. Unaware, their vision had accustomed to seeing without the aid of light meanwhile their attention was occupied on the two perpetrators who almost succeeded in murdering them and taking their home.

   "Let's head back." Hershel declares once he notices his daughter and in the state she is in.

   Upon hearing his words, Josephine straightens up, slides the safety of her gun, and slips it back into her waistband. After Glenn and Rick loot the now ownerless firearms besides the corpses, they make their way towards the door. And like deer, they halt at the sight of large headlights shining in their direction and quickly hide their silhouettes. Rick and Josephine, who are in the front of the line, duck down to the left side of the door; Rick pulls her by the shoulder to his left, which is further from the door, as a cautious measure; Hershel and Glenn situate themselves on the other side of the vulnerable entrance.

    Josephine crouchs on her tiptoes as she holds her gun, pointing it to the floor, and her finger hovering bedside the trigger. She places her ear as close as she can to the wall to figure out what these new strangers were saying, or at the very least try figuring out how many they were in total. Once they start shouting out the name of the two deceased men lying only feet away from her, she freezes. There is no way they're going to leave without verification of their friends' whereabouts. Realizing this, she closes her eyes and sighs; opening them again, Rick's eyes lock onto hers because he's had the same thought run across his mind.

   It seems there are a total of three men, if they calculated correctly, from the different pacing, shuffling, and dragging of three types of feet. It was the torture of time that made their nerves heighten. Josephine now has a thin layer of sweat coating her skin, making her collarbones shine and glisten, and the hairs closest to her face stick to her; her toes are on that edge where they could cramp if she applied more pressure, yet pulling away right when she feels the muscles tense, but she won't allow herself to shift into a more comfortable stance if it meant revealing their presence. Every so often, Rick bids her to scan out the window, which has the red striped curtain sitting still next to her, and give a warning if someone is near.

   She shakes her head back at her father who returns the gesture in confirmation that the coast is also clear on his side. Rick nods his head to Glenn and Hershel, indicating for her to join him on the pair's other side. They huddle together so they can speak in hush voices, and practically undetectable from the outside.

   "Why won't they leave?" Glenn hisses anxiously, looking at the three people in front of him. 

   "Would you?" Hershel mutters after checking the window again.