20. (did i take it) too far

TWENTY: (DID I TAKE IT) TOO FAR

AFTER ADMINISTERING THE ANTIBIOTICS TO THOSE WHO SURVIVED, Josephine takes it upon herself to take care of the deceased

AFTER ADMINISTERING THE ANTIBIOTICS TO THOSE WHO SURVIVED, Josephine takes it upon herself to take care of the deceased. Using the same trailer Daryl and Michonne used to pile the walkers of the fence, Josephine transports the last of the twenty-six wrapped bodies to the courtyard. They're her people, but they still had to burn them to keep the infection from returning.

"Someone else can do this," Michonne offers after returning from A-block, "You deserve a rest."

Josephine adjusts her cowboy hat on her head and wipes the sweat off her forehead with her forearm. "These people trusted me with their lives, I have to see them through to the end. I have to."

Michonne nods understandingly, "Okay. Doesn't mean you have to do it alone."

Josephine flicks the top of her hat in gratitude and together they carefully line the wrapped bodies beside and top of each other on the back of the trailer. The last body is secured and the duo step back to catch their breaths.

"You taking those with the others?" She can distinguish her father's voice without turning around.

Michonne confirms as Josephine rolls up the sleeves of her light pomegranate red button up shirt and turns to face him with crossed arms. She tilts her head disapprovingly, "Daddy, what are you doing out here, you should be resting."

"I've been cooped up inside long enough," Hershel shoots back. "Fresh air won't do any harm."

"Jo, it'll be fine," Michonne nudges her encouragingly. "We're not going too far out."

"Fine," Josephine sighs and drops her hand. "But you're taking it easy, I can't have you passing out in the middle of the woods."

Hershel smiles at his caring daughter's words of concern, "Oh, I'm not that bad off."

Hopping in, Hershel sits in the passenger's seat, Josephine in the backseat, and Michonne drives them to the site where they burned the other bodies.

"It looks like it's going to rain," Hershel remarks, staring up through the treetops, a large grey cloud approaching from the west.

Michonne and Josephine hurry to stack the bodies, and Hershel sprinkles the gasoline over them before moving to stand beside the two women. Josephine grabs three matches and swipes them together against the box, lighting them and throws them onto the cloth. Quickly, the fire follows the trail and soon the entire mound is engulfed in flames.

"We should get back," Michonne urges, reaching for the gas container. Josephine grabs the other can, following right after her.

"Hey, look," Josephine drops down at the base of the tree beside Michonne.