10. spare the pain

warning: mention of miscarriage(s)

TEN: SPARE THE PAIN

AFTER CONDUCTING ANOTHER SIMPLE CHECK UP, Josephine left Lori with a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder to catch up with the team already preparing themselves for departure

AFTER CONDUCTING ANOTHER SIMPLE CHECK UP, Josephine left Lori with a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder to catch up with the team already preparing themselves for departure. Once her feet land on the concrete first floor, Rick hands her a bulletproof vest. She takes it from his hands, no questions asked, but seeing as Glenn removes his vest to place it over Maggie's shoulders, Josephine decides on passing it on to him. Rechecking the supplies of their makeshift first aid kit, Josephine zips up the backpack and swings it over her shoulders.

"Great. Let's go." Rick speaks up after discussing the risks with his son. Josephine and Maggie grab their weapons, but before they leave they each plant a light kiss on their baby sister's forehead. Beth wished them luck, and Carl closes and locks the gate behind them.

Rick leads the group of seven, and Daryl protects the group from the end. Their flashlights are the only source of light, and as they illuminate their path they see the gore littering the ground.

The ceiling is coming apart, tubes and pipes broken and leaking the small droplets of what they can assume rain water. The walls are cracked and split, probably due to the mass panic the guards never were able to control; which lead to casualties, evident with every body they pass by. Inmates are still recognizable due to their jumpsuits, but the evidence of them being human is questionable; most of their exposed flesh has been eaten leaving nothing more than scrap of bones. No doubt this place was destroyed early, the smell of the corpses is pungent, and as they venture deeper into the prison the odor only intensifies.

The only sound is the group's treading lightly on the ground and Glenn's spray can as he marks the way back. Abruptly, Maggie shrieks, causing everyone to turn behind and shine their light over her and come to her aid. Glenn soothes her jitters after she accidentally ran into him and mistook him for a walker.

At some point, Daryl moves to the front of the group, and leads beside Rick. They make two more turns by the indication of Glenn's spraying before they end up at a crossways. Rick inspects the right corridor first before deciding to advance towards the left. They're about to round the corner when they hear a distant thud; they ready their weapons for attack, but are caught off guard by a group of bunched-up walkers.

"Go back!" Rick shouts as he waves his flashlight in the direction they came. "Go back! Move!"

Maggie, Josephine, and Glenn instantly follow the arrows pointing to Cell Block C. They're seconds away from turning the corner when another bunch of walkers block their path. Maggie twist around and almost slips on a walker's guts, but she's saved by both her boyfriend and sister as they pull her away from the danger.