02. the father by her side

TWO: THE FATHER BY HER SIDE

AFTER WITNESSING THE SMALL REUNION, Glenn and T-Dog were escorted inside with the now complete Greene family to pay their regards to the Grimes family in this crucial moment

AFTER WITNESSING THE SMALL REUNION, Glenn and T-Dog were escorted inside with the now complete Greene family to pay their regards to the Grimes family in this crucial moment. Josephine, on the other hand, was lead to another part of the house by Maggie and was informed of everything that has happened since chaos struck—the people they had lost.

"But Dad says there'll be a cure soon." Maggie told her softly as she laid clean clothes for her sister on the bed that hadn't been occupied since the night before Josephine's wedding.

Josephine made a face at her little sister, a mix of confusion and disbelief, as she walked out of the small bathroom she, Maggie and Beth shared upstairs. She rubbed her wet hair with a second towel as she processed what Maggie just said. Slowly she took a seat next to her, leaving a small space for the fresh clothes in the middle of them, and tightened the white towel around her body.

"Maggie, listen to me." Josephine took her sister's hands into her own and waited for her green eyes to maintain steady with her grey ones. "This epidemic that dad calls it, is irreversible. There is no cure. Annette and Shawn are dead. There is no cure for death."

Maggie didn't know whether to tell her or not. Her words were stern and steady; there was no way, no phrasing of words, that Maggie could scramble together to make her change her mind. So, telling her that their dad was keeping a barn full of sick people was not an option anymore. It simply wouldn't settle right within her moral code. Josephine was a doctor, Maggie understood this; everything she would argue would be based on facts and science, versus their father who would speak with his religion, beliefs and hope, and this ever long debate would never end and Maggie couldn't bare a wedge between her family, especially when they just found each other. With great guilt, Maggie chose not to tell her older sister—chose to hide it from the sister she told everything.

"Do you understand?" Josephine squeezed Maggie's shoulder lightly to bring her back from her thoughts. "You turn, you aren't human anymore, and you never will again."

   Maggie nodded at her, hopefully convincingly enough. Josephine wasn't a master of reading body language when it didn't come to pain, so that was why she believed her little sister and decided to change the subject.

   "And those people, Glenn and T-Dog," Josephine began as she stood up from the bed and grabbed the black bra first and clipped it behind her in two attempts so it would help hold the towel in place without it threatening to unfold and fall every two seconds. "They said some of their friends were here?" She slid on her pink panties that had small red hearts covering the entire fabric (it was the most comfortable and hardly, if at all, rode up her butt). "What is that about?"