04. no greater death

FOUR: NO GREATER DEATH

SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHETHER TO FEEL BETRAYED or pure anger

SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHETHER TO FEEL BETRAYED or pure anger. After Maggie confessed this giant secret they had been keeping from her, Josephine took the entire night to wrap her head around the situation and view it from her father's perspective. And when she couldn't keep going around in circles anymore, she had to confront him about it. He made the same argument with Dale the previous day, and soon enough to Rick who had just recently discovered the truth as well.

"They're sick people, Jo." He begs her to understand. "They're still our Annette—our Shawn. It's just going to take some time before they get back to normal."

"Dad!" Exasperated, she shouts with her hands in the air. "They're not sick! They're one hundred percent dead! They might resemble Annette and Shawn but there is no possibility of them ever reverting back to who they once were. They're soulless creatures who now feast on the living!"

"They are living, Josephine," He gently places a hand on her shoulder which she backs away from as if his touch had stung her. "They are still human and will regain their senses soon enough."

"They're dangerous." She sighs in one last attempt to convince him. "I have witnessed those things—those things that you still consider sick—tear a person apart and leave nothing but bones." She pauses to gain a reaction. When he only blinks at her she continues. "They could have killed Maggie." Finally, some concern from him. "Yesterday, when she went on that simple pharmacy run, one of those things attacked her. If Glenn hadn't been there to protect her, she could have—" Josephine stops herself as her voice falters at the mere thought of losing her sister in such a sinister way. "You can't keep them in the barn. You can't keep them at all. You need to put Annette and Shawn to rest once and for all."

With that, she left him to think about it. While he did so, she would maintain herself busy around the house, doing anything to distract her mind from imagining her father, or anyone else in her family, trying to wrangle a wild corpse ready to devour them. She had no clue how he even got the idea of them being sick in his mind, or how it even made sense to him, and the more she thought about it, the more she reflected on her own journey home.

She had been away from her family, with no communication, for over two whole months. They had been sheltered here in their many acres of plain, open, grass fields, while she had been fighting for her life since the start of the world crashing down. She had to do unspeakable deeds just to make her way back to her family who were feeding the flesh eating monsters whose only purpose was to cause pain and destruction. She knew there was no escaping those walking corpses, but having them as first class guests was just absurd. She knew they had no idea what it is like to fend for yourself because your life did in fact depend on it, but this was sheer ignorance, perhaps naïvety?