Luke

When Kally and Ken are fast asleep, I notice Katie. She gets up slowly and makes her way to the back of the train. I must be seeing things.

"Hey Luke," she gives me a small smile.

I blink, dumbstruck.

"What? I thought you'd hate me for sure," i whisper so quietly that the others can't hear. She shakes her head.

"You were hiding Terrence, I felt him there too, I'm sure in another world you all were trying to save me," she smiles.

I gulp the sadness bubbling up my throat. I nod almost imperceptibly. "I'd do anything," and I gulp to keep the tears from boiling my lungs.

"Ken looks awful, has he been taking medication?" She continues. I shake my head.

"He won't say it, but he blames himself for Terrence's death, and I know he blames himself for what could have happened to you. It's almost like he wants to die," I can't stop myself. I don't know how to save him. I don't know who can save him. "And if he keeps doing what he's doing he will die."

Her eyes look frightened for an infinitesimal moment. Slowly and carefully she moves to the seat in front of Ken, sliding her hand between the seats she rests her hand softly on his. He's still asleep and doesn't notice a thing, but I can see his face relax finally. She stays like that until he begins to stir. The minute he does, she books it back down the aisle and disappears.

Ken looks down at his hand curiously and then back at me.

"Hey Luke, was Katie here?" He asks, his eyes look at mine searching. I shake my head.

"Nope, you must just be tired," I've lied to him before, so why does this sting. She told me not to tell him, right before she left she told me to act like nothing happened. I gulp. He places his head back down on Kally's shoulder until the announcer says we've reached the destination.

He already looks so much better and it makes me all the more curious about Katie. Why would she forgive any of us? How could she? After all that we did to her? What kind of superpower keeps her head that clear?

My eyes find Ken, the bags under his eyes slightly less visible. His skin tone is less pale. He looks like he's doing a bit better. How can she help someone who wanted to betray her?