Chapter 33

A/N: why do some of you think something bad is going to happen? Have I not put Fitz and Dex through enough suffering??

---------------------------------------------------------

"How come you take longer than I do to get ready?"
Fitz looked at Dex who quickly clasped his cape over his shoulders.
"We've been together for like... 2 years now? You should be used to this, Vacker." Dex said, picking up the picnic basket from the floor as Fitz grabbed the crystal they were going to use to light-leap away.

Fitz smiled at Dex.
"Alright, C'mon. Let's get going so we can watch the sun set." Fitz said, holding his free hand out.
Dex took Fitz's hand and interlocked their fingers.
"Let's go." Dex smiled at Fitz.
Fitz raised the crystal up and the two of them light-leapt away together.

The two of them light-leapt to that field that Fitz grew up going to and has brought Dex there a few good times now. They made their way to that one specific tree they'd always hang around and set up their little picnic.

Fitz laid out the blanket on the floor and Dex sat the picnic basket on a corner of the blanket. The two of them sat down and Dex began to rummage through the basket, getting out all of the little sweet and savoury treats they made before coming here for their date.

"I'm glad you finally found time for us to do this." Dex said, reaching over and grabbing a sweet treat first, an indigoober from a little tub they put them in.
"Yeah... Sorry that we couldn't do this sooner. Work has been busy." Fitz sighed out softly as he scanned the treats, deciding what he wanted to eat first.
"I know, even Keefe has been busy a lot recently. Tam told me all about how Keefe's been all over the place." Dex sighed out.

"What's even happening for it to be so busy?"
Dex looked at Fitz. Fitz shrugged.
"They don't tell us anything, they just tell us to do this specific task and the tasks have just been building up." Fitz stated.
Dex squinted his eyes as he studied Fitz's expression. Why did Dex have a feeling Fitz was lying to him?
"Mmh..." Dex hummed.

"How has work been for you? Any trouble?" Fitz asked, reaching over for the sandwiches they had packed in another little box.
"One of my prodigies are being bullied for being a lesbian." Dex sighed softly.
"Thankfully she has me and Wyatt to rely on, and we have tried talking to the prodigies to stop it, but... it's not working. I need to figure out how to help."
Fitz frowned.
"Kids are assholes." Fitz said.
"Isn't that the truth?" Dex mumbled.

"Wyatt has an idea of how to go about it, he just needs to check if it's okay with the prodigy."
"Well hopefully it works."
"Yeah..."

*****

Dex was happily munching on a sandwich slice as he looked out into the distance, admiring how beautiful the sky was as the sun was setting.

Fitz was fiddling with something in his pocket, extremely nervous as he looked at Dex who was staring at how beautiful the sunset was.

"I'm so glad we're having a picnic. Watching the sunset is beautiful, especially since I can snack on food while staring at all the colours." Dex said.
"Especially in this field, it feels so... romantic."
Dex took a big bite of the sandwich in his hand and Fitz felt his nerves calm a little.
"I'm glad you think that too." Fitz said, glancing at the sunset.

Fitz dug out the box in his pocket and he held it in his hand. Fitz gulped and he looked at Dex.
"Dex." Fitz said.
"I want to ask you something."
Dex looked at Fitz, his mouth full of another bite he took from his sandwich. Dex nodded at Fitz, letting him know to go on and ask it.

Fitz took a deep breath.
"Okay... we've been through a lot, in this relationship." Fitz began.
"And... it's been 2 years since we decided to give us another go. It's been 2 years since I got out of a loveless marriage and since you got out of a relationship with someone who was better off as your friend."
Dex blinked at Fitz and hummed, furrowing his eyebrows as he went ahead and decided to finish off eating his sandwich.

Fitz cleared his throat as he got on one knee, in front of Dex, holding the box out in his hand.

"And... our relationship now has been amazing. We've been thriving, we've been happy, and I am so, so glad that you gave me another chance." Fitz said, staring directly into Dex's eyes.
Dex seemed to gulp and his eyes glistened as he glanced at the box in Fitz's hand and back up into Fitz's eyes.

Fitz smiled at Dex as he opened up the box, revealing a beautiful golden ring with a small diamond on top.
"Dexter Alvin Dizznee, you have given me the honour of being your boyfriend, twice now, and I would love it if you would give me the honour of becoming my husband. Of being mine for the rest of our lives." Fitz said, smiling softly at Dex.
"Will you marry me?"

Dex's eyes seemed to well up and he smiled at Fitz.
"... Now I wish I wasn't chewing on a goddamn sandwich for half of your speech." Dex said, his voice cracking slightly.
Fitz couldn't help but laugh out.

"Is that a yes?" Fitz tilted his head.
Dex smiled widely, and oh Fitz adored Dex's dimples when he smiled like this.
"It's a yes! I will marry you, Fitzroy Avery Vacker." Dex nodded.
Fitz got down on both of his knees now and he gently took the ring out of the box, setting the now empty box aside. Dex held his hand out and Fitz slipped the ring onto Dex's ring finger.

Dex instantly cupped Fitz's face and reached up, smashing their lips together and Fitz sunk into the kiss.
The kiss only lasted a few moments before Dex gently pulled away and rested his forehead against Fitz's.

"... Seriously, you couldn't have told me to put down my sandwich?" Dex questioned, furrowing his eyebrows at Fitz.
"You get moody when I tell you to stop eating!" Fitz exclaimed, smiling at Dex.
"Fitzroy, love of my life, I would've been relieved if you told me to stop eating and then asked me to marry you! You gotta make it up to me now." Dex said, shrugging as he uncupped Fitz's face and backed away.

"Oh? And how should I make it up to you?" Fitz asked, smiling as he gently took Dex's hand into his.
Dex smiled at Fitz.
"By making sure that our wedding will be perfect and that I won't be chewing on a sandwich while we say our vows!" Dex exclaimed.
"... Now I want you to be chewing on a sandwich during our vows." Fitz said, grinning at Dex.

"... Can-can I say no? Is it too late? Can I still keep the ring? "
"It's too late, we're going to marry each other, there's nothing you can do to get rid of me!"
"Damn it."

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1192