Chapter 28

"Okay... well, you told me that talking to me and hanging out made you feel like you didn't have to be perfect all the time when we were younger." Dex said, looking at Fitz.
Fitz hummed, nodding.
"So... my question is... what helped you get through the day when you were tired of being perfect?"
Dex tilted his head at Fitz.
Fitz sighed out.

"Talking to Biana, I think." Fitz said, looking at Dex.
"Just, ever since we broke up, she became more... rebellious against our father and she helped me feel like I didn't have to be perfect around her. So when we lived in Everglen together still, I could talk to her before we'd go to bed and it'd make me feel like a weight off my shoulders had been lifted. "
Dex hummed, nodding.

"Y'know what I'm curious about? Why did you become a Mentor? " Fitz asked.
Dex hummed.
"I didn't want to be working in Slurps and Burps for the rest of my life, as much as I loved working with my dad, it just... didn't feel like my thing. Becoming a Mentor and helping other prodigies learn Alchemy seemed like fun. And if a prodigy needed help with their talent as a Technopath, I would love to help them too. "Dex said.
"I'm good with younger people too, y'know? I grew up taking care of my younger siblings, I think I just wanted more of that chaotic atmosphere."
Fitz smiled. "That's nice."

"While we're asking about our jobs, why'd you decide to become an Emissary?" Dex asked, looking at Fitz.
Fitz shrugged.
"My dad's an Emissary. Plus Keefe told me he'd become an Emissary along with me, so I thought it'd be fun. Especially if we get to work together from time to time." Fitz said.
Dex hummed, nodding.

Fitz bit his lower lip as a question popped into his head.
"Uhm... so, w-what would your ideal wedding be like?" Fitz asked, looking at Dex.
Dex raised an eyebrow at Fitz.
"Why do you want to know this?" Dex questioned.
Fitz shrugged. "I'm... curious."
Dex smiled.
"My ideal wedding... somewhere maybe outside? In the nature. Uhm... small wedding, only close friends and close family. I don't think I'd want a big after party either. Just maybe a few dances, cut the cake and that's it. And then just spend my honeymoon with my husband. "Dex answered Fitz's question.

Dex looked at Fitz and noticed how Fitz's eyes seemed to sparkle as he imagined Dex's ideal wedding.
"Sound different than your first wedding?" Dex asked.
"Entirely different." Fitz said.
"Sounds something like I wanted for my wedding."
Dex smiled softly.
"Glad to know that if we get to that point, we know what we want then." Dex said, leaning in and pecking Fitz's cheek.
Fitz smiled, his heart beginning to beat faster.

"Mmh... while we're on the subject of weddings and marriage..." Dex began.
"If... we ever were to get married, would you take my last name?"
Fitz furrowed his eyebrows and he looked off into the distance as he thought about it.
"Yeah." Fitz said.
"I think I would. I mean, becoming a Dizznee? I think that's better than becoming a Vacker."
Fitz smiled at Dex. Dex smiled back.

"Alright, well... how do you spend your free time?" Fitz questioned.
"Oof... I barely get free time because of tests, planning lessons and stuff..." Dex grimaced.
"But typically? I just lay in bed and maybe read a book."
Fitz hummed.
"Mmh, relaxing." Fitz smiled.

Dex sighed softly and he rested his head on Fitz's shoulder.
"Mmh... are you still a bird guy?" Dex asked.
"Oh for sure!" Fitz exclaimed, looking down at Dex.
"I haven't had the chance to bird watch recently but I still love it when I spot a bird and recognise its species."
"... I don't understand why you like birds." Dex frowned.
"Birds are weird."
"Stop! Birds are beautiful creatures!" Fitz frowned at Dex.
"You're insane." Dex rolled his eyes.
Fitz kissed Dex's forehead.
"Yet you still like me." Fitz said.
Dex smiled and scrunched up his face.

"On the topic of animals, are you planning on getting a pet soon? I remember you said you always have wanted a gremlin." Fitz smiled.
"Mmh... I don't have the time to take care of a gremlin." Dex sighed.
"But maybe a murcat would be nice. I don't know."
Fitz hummed in response.