Chapter 5

Fitz kept looking at the door, hoping to see his sister come in and finally join the rest of the family for dinner.

"I wonder what's taking Biana so long." Della frowned.
"Honestly, I know she has a grudge against me but she can't show up for her brother and sister-in-law?" Alden scowled.
"Why do we even invite Biana if she doesn't ever come?" Elowyn questioned, frowning at Fitz.
"She'll come." Fitz said, smiling at Elowyn.
He gently took Elowyn's cold hands into his and gently ran his thumb across her knuckles, feeling the coolness of the golden ring around her finger as he ran his thumb back and forth.
"I know she will-"

"You always have faith in me!"
Elowyn yelped and Fitz looked behind him and smiled at Biana who leaned against his chair from behind.
Biana smiled widely at her brother.
"Hey Fitzy~" Biana said, waving her hand at Fitz.
"I'm glad you made it, Biana." Fitz said.
"I wasn't gonna let you suffer with our father alone, was I?" Biana questioned, ruffling Fitz's hair before she walked off to sit down next to her brother and across from her mother.
"Why must you be so rude?" Alden scowled.
"Ah, your hair is ruined!" Elowyn frowned, quickly running her fingers through Fitz's hair to fix it.
Fitz quickly but gently pushed Elowyn's hand away from his hair.
"I've told you, I don't like it when other people touch my hair." Fitz said, quickly running his own fingers through his hair.

"You made a grand entrance like always, Biana." Della smiled at Biana.
"I learned from the best, no?" Biana grinned at her mother.
"You'll never find yourself a husband if you continue to act that way." Alden huffed.
Biana groaned.
"How many times do I have to tell you? I am never getting married, nor am I looking for a man to... how should I put it? I'm not looking for a man to show me off like a trophy, and nor do I want to be a house-wife." Biana stated, slightly leaning in to make it clear for her father.
"I-"

"Speaking of marriage!" Biana exclaimed, smiling at Fitz.
"Has Keefe told you the news?"
Fitz raised an eyebrow.
"I helped Keefe plan the way he was going to ask Tam to marry him, he didn't need to tell me." Fitz said.
"Lord Keefe is getting married to Tam?" Elowyn questioned.
"I thought they were destined to last as long as you and...what was that boy's name again...?"

Fitz felt his heart drop and he cleared his throat.
"Oh Dex?" Biana smiled sweetly at Elowyn.
"Ah, yes, that's the one." Elowyn sighed.
"I wonder if he's gotten out of that phase and has a girlfriend."
"Phase? Pfft, oh Dex is still in that 'phase'." Biana said, slightly glaring at Elowyn.
"In fact, he's found himself a new guy that has taken interest in him and who he is also interested in." 

"Dex is dating someone else?" Fitz questioned, staring at Biana.
Biana's breath hitched and she smiled softly at Fitz.
"Not yet, but...I think it'll happen soon." Biana said.
"Oh why does it matter?" Alden questioned.
"The important thing is that Fitz is out of that phase, that poor Dizznee boy is still in that disgusting phase and unfortunately it seems Keefe has not come to his senses about that Song boy."

Fitz stayed silent and Biana frowned. She watched his gaze and noticed it lingered on an object in the middle of the dining table. She looked to where Fitz had glanced at and she sort of froze when she recognised it.
"...When'd you get that vase?" Biana questioned.
"Mother gave it to me when we moved into the place. It was a house-warming gift." Fitz replied, his tone of voice slightly cold now.
Biana looked at Della and Della smiled softly at Biana.
"...Ah..." Biana mumbled.

"Ah! Let's start digging in! I am starving!"
"Biana that is not how a Lady should act!"
"Oh god, Fitz, stop your sister!"
"Haha, I can't stop her!"
"Why are you laughing at this?!"

*****

Fitz sighed as he handed Biana a cup of tea and sat down next to her in the living room.
"Making me tea in my own home~" Biana grinned at Fitz.
Fitz rolled his eyes and smiled at her.
"You got me kicked out of my own home, it's the least I could do." Fitz said.
Biana softly sighed as she took a sip of the tea and shuffled closer to Fitz.
"Why do you put up with her?" Biana questioned.
"You know how father is like." Fitz stated, leaning back in the couch.
"Plus, getting kicked out means I can come to your cozy apartment."

Biana stared at Fitz.
"Soo...why do you have that vase out in your home?" Biana asked.
Fitz made a face as he stared at the ground. He began to fiddle with his wedding ring around his finger.
"Mother gave it to me and told me that it was too pretty for me to not take it with me, especially since it was made with love and care." Fitz said.
"Mother just misses Dex." Biana said.
"Hah, then she should keep in contact with him herself." Fitz sighed.
Fitz shut his eyes as he took a few deep breaths.

"Dex seems happy, with his future boyfri-" Biana began.
"Don't." Fitz cut Biana off.
Biana looked at Fitz and she stayed silent.
"...I still don't understand why you didn't go behind father's back or told him that Dex was all that you needed to be happy." Biana stated.
"It's been years Biana, stop bringing it up-" Fitz began.
"If you want me to stop bringing it up, you should get over him for fuck's sake." Biana scowled.
"I know, it's hard. But Fitz, you're still too attached to him and-"
"I'm married, Biana. And apparently he has someone too. I do not care for him at all." Fitz scowled.

The two of them faced each other and held eye contact. There was a bitter silence between them, until Biana's imparter went off.

Biana sighed as she grabbed her imparter and looked who was hailing. She simply got up and answered it.
"Hey Dexter~!" Biana managed to smile.
"Uh...am I calling at a bad time?" Dex asked.
Fitz definitely froze when he heard Dex speak and he glanced at Biana and the small image from her imparter. He didn't get a super good look at how Dex looked now, as Biana quickly turned away, but he managed to catch a glimpse of Dex.
"Why would you think that? I told you I'm available for you to hail whenever!" Biana exclaimed.

"So petty..." Fitz huffed.
"You think you can fucking speak right now, asshole?" Biana scowled, quickly turning her head to glare at her brother.
"Uhm...?"Dex stared blankly at Biana.
"Oh don't worry!" Biana smiled back at Dex as she began to make her way out of the room.
"I just have a guest for the night and he's just pissed me off so-" 
"A guest? Who is it-?" Dex began.
As Biana left the room, Dex could sort of see a person in the background and he sort of froze when he thought he'd seen Fitz.
"No-one. Don't worry." Biana smiled, making her way to her bedroom.

"So, did you have anything you wanted to tell me?"
"Oh, uh...I was wondering if you had any fun stories from that dinner you suffered?"
"Oh boy! You are gonna be here for hours, sweetie! Make sure you make some popcorn, Fitz's wife is really getting on my last nerve!"

Fitz could not believe his sister would answer a hail from Dex right now. His voice sounded different, Fitz was a little surprised from how different he sounded. But fuck, Fitz couldn't stop thinking about how Dex looks now. How much he's actually changed over the past few years.
Fitz ran his fingers through his hair and hid his face in his hands.

Dex on the other hand was really wondering if he had caught a glimpse of Fitz or not. He didn't know how he'd process it if it really was Fitz who was there. But if Fitz was there, why would Biana accept his hail in front of her brother? It made no sense.
So...Dex decided that he did not see Fitz. It was just a random guy that he did not know.

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1418