Chapter 24

"I really would've done this all myself if-" Fitz began as Dex was pouring a bit of wine into a glass.
"I'm more than happy to do this." Dex smiled at Fitz as he sat the bottle of wine in the middle of the table.
Fitz smiled at Dex as Dex sat down across from him now.

Fitz looked at the food on the table, it was a stir-fry meal and god, it smelled delicious.
"Biana didn't want to be 'kicked out' of her own home for a date." Fitz stated.
"Haha, well... I think I would've felt weird if we had our date at her place anyway." Dex said, picking up his own glass of wine and taking a sip of it.
"Mmh, I guess I get that." Fitz said.

"Uhm, by the way, your place is really nice."
Fitz picked up his fork and Dex smiled at Fitz.
"Well, it's not as fancy as other places you've lived in." Dex said, picking up his fork and beginning to dig into his plate of food.
"Maybe. But this place feels more like a home. More... normal." Fitz said, sort of stabbing the stir-fry meal.
Dex watched as Fitz stabbed the food.

"... Don't take it out on the food I made with love." Dex frowned.
Fitz smiled at Dex.
"Hah, sorry." Fitz said, picking up some of the food onto his fork.
"Sometimes I'm jealous of you."
Fitz took a bite of the stir-fry.
"Of me?" Dex raised his eyebrows.
"I need you to elaborate Mr. My-family-is-so-prestigious-and-everyone-loves-me-and-no-one-ridicules-me."
"... What a long name." Fitz raised his eyebrows at Dex.
Dex rolled his eyes and Fitz grinned.

"I mean... you grew up in a loving household. I mean, yeah, my mother was super loving, so was Biana... but my father always gave me that pressure. Alvar sometimes ignored me. You grew up with parents who would care for you deeply. Who think that society sucks and aren't afraid to express themselves. "Fitz explained.
"... While for me I had to know when it was proper to laugh, when it was proper to mess about and act 'foolish' which, surprise, was never. "
Dex stared at Fitz as Fitz stuffed his food while ranting.
Fitz took a deep breath and he looked at Dex.

"I know you faced a lot of hardships, but my life wasn't easy either." Fitz said, looking at Dex.
Dex gave Fitz a small smile.
"And it's not gonna be easier if you date me, you know that, right?" Dex asked.
Fitz sighed.
"I'm willing to go through that. As long as I can be with the person I love, and as long as I'll have the people who love and accept me around me, I think I can manage." Fitz smiled at Dex.
Dex's heart skipped a beat and he bit his lower lip.

"You're really showing me that you're worth it, aren't you?" Dex tilted his head.
"I want to be the best for you, you deserve someone who will cherish you and love you." Fitz said.
"And I am absolutely ready to just... be with you again."
Dex hummed, a smile on his face.

"Right, well... do you want to hear about something funny one of my prodigies did earlier this week?"
"Oh, please, do tell."

*****

Dex leaned against the wall as he watched Fitz clasp his cape over his shoulders.
"I really had a nice time." Dex said, staring at Fitz.
"I mean... I was worried how this would turn out, but... I think you've already proven yourself to me."
Fitz gave Dex a smile.
"Really?" Fitz questioned.
Dex nodded.
"You've always been a great partner, Fitz. But this date was... one of the best dates I've had. It felt right. To just have dinner and talk to you." Dex said as he stopped leaning against the wall.

"Well, I have a good idea for another date. Maybe you can let me know when you're free and I can actually plan it out and set it up myself this time?" Fitz tilted his head.
Dex took a step forward and reached up, pecking Fitz's cheek.
"I'll take a look at my schedule and see when I'll be free next." Dex said softly.
Dex looked at Fitz and noticed how Fitz instantly began to blush after the kiss on the cheek.
"Mmh...great."Fitz smiled.

"I'll see you around then."
Fitz dug through his pockets for the crystal to light-leap back home.
Dex watched as Fitz looked for his crystal. Dex leaned against the wall again as Fitz found his crystal.
"Yeah, see you." Dex smiled at Fitz.
Fitz raised his crystal up and he light-leapt away.

Dex bit his lower lip and he rested his back against the wall. His first official date with Fitz felt so natural. Dex didn't even want Fitz to leave, but he couldn't ask him to stay over, could he? It would've been too much for a first date.

Dex quickly recalled that he had agreed to go on a second date with Fitz just a few moments ago and his heart fluttered at the thought of it.
He wasn't sure what to expect, but Dex was definitely excited to see what Fitz would have planned for them.

Dex felt like the lovesick teenager he was once before and he both hated it and loved it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 914