Chapter 21

Dex grumbled as someone knocked on the front door of his apartment.
It was a Friday evening and he had to get these tests marked for Saturday since Sunday Fitz had asked if he was available to talk by then, and Dex didn't know how long that would take, and now someone is at his door when all he wants to do is get through his work and-

Dex opened the front door and he froze when he looked at who stood there.
"I-is this a bad time, sweetheart?"
Dex felt his breath hitch and he gulped as his eyes began to water.
"Lady Della, uhm... N-no, no of course not!" Dex exclaimed, a little stunned.
Della herself had sad eyes, but she seemed happy to see Dex again.
"Please, Dex, the title is too formal." Della said.
"May I come in? Perhaps... we could chat and have a nice cup of tea?"

Della smiled sweetly at Dex. Dex felt himself smile and he stepped aside.
"Of course. Tea sounds... tea sounds really good right now." Dex nodded.

*****

Della gently blew on the hot cup of tea before taking a sip. Dex fiddled with his hands as he watched Della set down the cup.
"I am so sorry that my place is a mess." Dex said, pinching his skin on his hand.
"I mean, I have so many papers to mark tonight and tomorrow, and then Sunday Fitz wants to talk and I just-"
Dex stopped himself and he looked at Della who was smiling at him.
"It's alright, dear. I know I came here quite late and unexpectedly." Della said softly.

"And... I know all about Fitz and you."
Dex felt his cheeks warm up.
"Well there really isn't a 'Fitz and me' kind of thing going on, plus I don't think he wants to mess up his 'perfect' life and-" Dex began.
"Fitz argued with his father a few days ago." Della cut Dex off.
"... He said some things about you... which I won't repeat as I'm sure my boy has a speech prepared for you that'll include what he sort of mentioned to his father."

Dex blinked.
"I'm sorry. Fitz argued with his dad?" Dex questioned, tilting his head at Della.
Della nodded, picking up the cup of tea.
"Fitz is temporarily staying at Biana's apartment." Della stated.
"Elowyn has signed the papers for the divorce and to file them as a 'bad match'."
Dex studied Della's face, trying to see if she looked sad about Fitz's marriage not working out, but he seen a small smirk on her face and he raised his eyebrows.

"... You never liked Elowyn. "Dex stated, picking up his cup of tea.
"She is such a snob." Della sighed.
"Plus the amount of money we had to pay for their wedding? Outrageous. Fitz wanted something small and simple, while she wanted to go all out."
Della rolled her eyes and Dex smiled as he took a sip of his tea.

Della looked at Dex and saw his smile.
"I knew one day you two would meet again and connect." Della stated.
"I just... I knew that there was no way that my Fitz would live his entire life in a loveless marriage. I had faith that you'd make him come to his senses."
Dex felt his cheeks warm up again.

"... Have you talked to Fitz about all of this?" Dex asked, looking at Della.
"He spoke to me while I helped him pack his things. And... when he spoke of you, I could see that shine in his eyes. That shine that I hadn't seen in years." Della said, tapping her fingers against the tea cup.
Dex didn't know how he felt about what Della had said to him. He felt his mouth go completely dry.

"Dex?" Della said softly.
"U-Uhm, yes?" Dex looked at Della, gulping.
Della set her cup of tea down again, and Dex did the same with his cup.
Della delicately took Dex's hands and cupped her hands over his. She looked directly into Dex's eyes and Dex held eye contact with her.

"My son hasn't always been the easiest. I know he has messed up numerous of times with you." Della stated.
"But I truly believe that when you two had reached that understanding, when you two were dating all those years ago, you brought out the best in my son. His smiles became more genuine around the house, he just generally seemed much happier. And when he was... forced to break up with you, the atmosphere in Everglen was horrible..."

Dex looked at their hands and frowned slightly.
"... You think I should give Fitz a proper chance? "Dex asked, looking at Della.
Della nodded.
"I do. And I'm sure whatever my son is planning on telling you, it will convince you even more to try again." Della smiled.
"And if he ever does something stupid on his own accord, you just hail me and I will-!" Della began, scowling at even the thought of Fitz ruining things again.
"Haha! I will, I will... thank you, Della." Dex laughed, unable to stop himself from smiling.
Della softly smiled.
"Ohh, of course Dex." Della sighed out.

She gently took her hands away from Dex's hands and she embraced the male for a hug instead. Dex tensed up and he felt his eyes tear up again as he hugged Della back.
"I've missed you, dear." Della whispered softly, rubbing Dex's back.
"... Yeah, I've missed you too..." Dex mumbled, his heart sort of aching.
His heart ached in a good way, if that was possible.

He never thought he would talk to Della like this again. But... he was extremely happy that he had this chance to talk to Della again.

And this conversation made Dex feel a little less nervous about meeting up with Fitz on Sunday.

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 984