She placed her hand on his bare chest gently, tracing the contours of his muscles. Their eyes locked in an intense stare.

"What's going to happen after," she whispered, sliding her hand down from his chest. Her gaze shifted from his eyes to her knees, "with Johnny," she added, speaking as quietly as possible.

Every muscle in Tommy's body stiffened at the remainder of Johhny. A fiance. A man she spent years with. All he wanted was to erase him like he never existed.

"I'll break his heart," Anna breathed, her eyes becoming glossier, tears hidden in the background of her gaze.

"Isn't it too late to feel sorry now?" Tommy snapped, a tinge of frustration evident in his tone as he fought to keep his temper in check.

"Tommy!" she chided.

"Are you having second thoughts?" he barked, turning his head to the side, refusing to face her, his jaw clenched in tension.

"No!" she huffed, frustration evident as she grabbed his chin, forcing him to look at her.

Rolling his eyes, he met her gaze with annoyance.

"Let me speak to him alone, okay?" she asked, inching closer towards him, her hand now gently stroking his cheek.

Tommy sighed, a hint of resignation softening his expression. "Fine," he said, shaking his head in disbelief.

Smiling, she leaned closer, kissing a corner of his mouth.

Tommy raised an eyebrow, pushing her away gently. "No kisses, Mrs. Abington," he whispered, narrowing his eyes at her, pretending to still be angry.

"Fine," she mumbled, turning her back to him and pulling a cover over her shoulders.

Tommy couldn't help but smile, his eyes softened with affection. "Fine," he whispered, sliding under the cover and pulling her closer by her waist.

~

Machine guns and grenades were neatly arranged in large wooden boxes, patiently awaiting their deployment. Charlie with Curly were standing in the yard, watching as Tommy checked every box carefully.

"Tommy, you know, Tommy, that these grenades are the best. I gave you the best ones," Curly tiptoed behind Tommy, stuttering slightly as Tommy continued to move around the boxes.

"I know, Curly, I know," Tommy mumbled, turning to pat Curly's shoulder.

Curly nodded to himself, murmuring something under his breath.

"John, let's load them into the car!" Tommy shouted at John, who was standing by a waiting car.

"I can help you, Tommy!" Curly squealed, his eyes flickering with excitement.

Tommy grabbed a box, nodding at Curly to help him carry it to the car. With pride, Curly took the other end of the box, and together they lifted it with a heavy grunt.

It didn't take long for Tommy, Charlie, John and Curly to load a car. With the last box secured, they stood together in a contemplative silence, their eyes fixed on the vehicle.

Everything was ready a war could begin.

~

In the private lounge of the Garrison, Anna, Ada, and Polly tired to seek a solace in the depths of their glasses. The tension hung thick in the air as the boys ventured out to a war with the Italians, leaving the women with nothing to do but drown their nerves in alcohol and wait.

Sipping on their third glass of whiskey and gin for Anna, the trio sat in a heavy silence. No words were exchanged. Each of them lost in their own thoughts, knowing the Italians were not an easy enemy.

The tension was too much to handle for Anna, she jumped from her seat, causing Ada and Polly to jump, and began pacing back and forth.

"Fuck, Anna! Calm your tits down" Ada yelped, pushing a hand against her heart.

Anna shot her a withering glare before resuming her agitated pacing. "I can't," she spat out in frustration.

"Sit down, Anna," Polly sighed, tracking her movements with a weary gaze.

Rolling her eyes, Anna pushed herslef into a chair, grunting.

"How long is it going to take, Pol?" Ada inquired, her dove-like eyes scanning Polly's unreadable face.

"Patience, my dear," she mumbled, downing her whiskey.

Anna and Ada exchanged glances before mirroring her actions.

"Do you really love him?" Ada asked, catching Anna off guard with her question.

Taking a deep breath, she nodded, "I do."

Ada smiled, "It's nice to see him smiling again," she mumbled against her drink, adding with a laugh, "you better not break his heart."

Anna poured herself another drink, "I'm not planning to" she replied softly.

"You better get used to this life, you're going to be Shelby soon" Polly smirked smugly, taking a sip of whiskey.

"What???" Ada spluttered her drink across the table, causing Anna to burst out laughing.

"No way," Ada coughed, almost choking on whiskey, surprise etched across her features.

"Yup," Anna nodded smugly.

Without a word, Ada clumsily pushed herself out of her seat, throwing herself at Anna. "Welcome to the family," she cooed, hugging her tightly.

Family. It was something Anna had yearned for since the day she met the Shelbys, envying their tight bond. As a child, she'd daydreamed about loving parents who kissed, shared dinners, and talked about their days. Siblings to have fun with, share secrets.

Yet, her reality was shaped by an abusive father and emotionally unavailable mother who turned a blind eye to Anna's suffering. Now, with Tommy, she found a perspective on family she had always craved – someone to rely on, talk to, and share drinks with. The Shelbys became the family she had longed for, filling the void in her heart.

Tears began to push into her eyes and she wrapped her arms around Ada,  hugging her back.

Polly could sense her emotions, she saw a girl that has been through hell and back. Girl that needed them as much as Tommy needed her. She was completely broken, but she could fit her broken pieces perfectly with Tommy's. Together, they would mend each other's broken parts.

The moment shattered as the door burst open, revealing Harry with a frantic expression, panting heavily. All eyes followed the noise, watching him intently, holding their breaths. Polly stabbed him with her dark eyes, urging him to speak.

"He's dead"