Chapter 38: Something Of A Domestic Appeal

Chapter 38:  Something Of A Domestic Appeal

The Kitchen, Apartment 73, The Regalway Towers, Southport, New Jersey.....

      A delicious aroma filled the entire apartment getting the full attention of Savannah Harlowe as she attempted to write in her journal a recollection of her thoughts about the past week. Ron Hemming was cooking something and it shocked her to know that he could cook with the fancy kitchenware that he had purchased over the years of staying in his luxury apartment. It was very odd to her that a werewolf could be so human let alone talented in more than one aspect of his life. From what she knew of werewolves they were all wild beasts that lived in packs and hunted in the wild mostly wooded areas or forests for the sake of primal pleasure and to sustain themselves. Ron was a mutant among his kind as he didn't seem above any of that, but also secretly quite refined.

Savannah put away her journal and stepped out into the hall following her nose as it were toward the kitchen where a shirtless Ron Hemming was indeed cooking up a storm as it appeared he was trying his hardest to lift the spirits of the sad teenage girl with something not purchased via money or ready-made and bought from a store.

It was sweet in a sense that Ron had gone out of his way to make her feel comfortable although she had not known why he was making such attempts. They were cordial at best these days, but it was still a nice gesture.

Ron seemed to be a bit more at ease in her presence as he attempted to make conversation despite his relative lack of experience with dealing with teenage girls. He hadn't even been so inclined to deal with them when he was a teenager never knowing how to even approach one and keeping to the shadows if he did see one let alone one he liked. The only reason he had any experience with women was due to his deranged forbearer being a twisted freak and taking him by force.

He knew no other life outside of being a werebeast.

Savannah had been the one to break the awkward silence between them due to her innate curiosity.

"What's it like?" she asked meeting his gaze for the first time since she found him rummaging through her father's bedroom at her old apartment. "Being a werewolf I mean."

Ron took a moment. He hadn't thought about being a werewolf since he became one involuntarily.

"For some, they knew no other life," he replied taking a moment to frame his words carefully. "They were born of the beast blood and couldn't see themselves as anything but what they were."

"What about you?" asked Savannah rightly sensing that there was more to this.

"I wasn't born of the blood but of the moon," replied Ron taking his time as his mind recalled the most painful day of his young life. "I had a forebearer who had taken it upon herself to make me into something I had no desire to be."

Savannah noticed the tension in his hands and face when he spoke of this person.

"Believe it or not, I was once like you." continued Ron seeing fit to finally get this off his chest so to speak. "I lived on a farm with only my father, my mother I am told died while giving birth to me."

Savannah knew all too well what that must have been like.

"Unlike your father, however, mine was a drunken abusive bastard," admitted Ron. "Beat me night and day while I did all of the farm work and he got drunk off his ass."

Savannah didn't know what to say about a life of that sort let alone about having an abusive father. She couldn't imagine Marcellus Altomare doing anything like that to Ron.

"I had to do all the cooking, and I wasn't very good at it." continued Ron. "My forebearer happened upon me while I was tending to the animals on the farm...I was about fourteen back then she was a vile creature, a bundle of twigs as far as weight went with wild red hair...she screamed something fierce and I believed she was a banshee and tried to take off."

Ron seemed to relax a bit as he continued his story.

"She cornered me in the barn and did me in pretty quickly, had I not accidentally left my pitchfork in there to begin with, I might not have survived the ordeal," said Ron doing a bit more reflecting. "I got her as she got me and the accursed creature bled into my wounds...turned me quite feral when it was all said and done."

Savannah began to understand that he truly had no choice about becoming a werewolf as a crazed woman had infected him with her blood.

"I was Moonborn and as a result carry the blood of the rabid creature in my veins...The Moonlight Counsel wanted my death...but Da...Marcellus The Night Watchman, intervened...I bit him due to my rabid nature and it was at just such a time that my transformation was still new and the stars aligned so to speak and I became cleansed at least partially due to his Pureblood and as a bonus rendered immortal." continued Ron. "He and his wife took me in and raised me as their pup I was of his blood now and it was there under his care where I learned what it was like to have a true family...he taught me to read, to write, how to be a Were, and how to be a man....unfortunately, I am still Les Ferale and given to the urges of the beast more often than not...but the pureblood gives me a chance at a normal life."

Savannah was blown away by what she had just heard. She couldn't imagine going through even half of what Ron Hemming had suffered at her age.

"I'm sorry about trying to kill you earlier," she said.

Ron smiled and waved it off.

"Think nothing of it," he replied turning his attention to all the food before them.

"So did Marcellus teach you how to cook properly?" asked Savannah making conversation.

"No thankfully, he's a terrible cook," admitted Ron with a smirk. "Fortunately for him, his wife Olivia was better equipped for the task, I never had a mother, and being around her gave me a sense of it, even when other werewolves were battling it out and trying to prove their strength and some of their intellect... I was more often than not in the kitchen learning from her."

Savannah looked down at the freshly prepared food before taking a bit for herself.

"Well between us, I'm glad she taught you something," she said with a half smile.

"You and I both," replied Ron.

The two of them sat down to eat together for the first time since Savannah had come to his apartment and there wasn't a snide comment nor hidden animosity between them at least not while they ate.