Chapter 24: Playing Uncle Ron

The Master Bedroom, Apartment 73, The Regalway Towers, Southport, New Jersey.....

     It pained Ron Hemming to no end to have to endure the company of a spiteful teenage girl and it was an even worse thing to have to curb his vastly eccentric appetites due to her being around him. He longed for the day his father would make a decision about taking the girl off his hands but as it wasn't likely to happen shortly, he was forced to participate in the vast game of mortal deception by pretending to be the long lost brother of the now dead wolf hunter and the "uncle" of sorts to the very girl who had annoyed him ever since they met. Ron sighed as he rolled out of bed, dressed down to his white boxer shorts, as he ventured toward the large glass window of his bedroom. It was a rather appropriate rainy afternoon and a lazy one at that.

He had spoken very little to Savannah Harlowe, aside from asking if she needed assistance or food. She spent most of her time behind a locked door and stuffing her nose into books or homework.

He had no idea how school life was for a girl like her in America as he had not been inside a school house since he was fourteen years old himself and the tutors that educated him when he'd been growing up at Marcellus Altomare's well-established compound in Italy were long gone. It seemed she had everything that pertained to her young life well in hand, despite her sadness over the loss of her father. Ron didn't know much about comforting anyone, especially someone on par with a child, but he knew what loss felt like.

He'd lost his mother before he'd even known her and his biological father was of little to no importance to him so in a way it was as if the man had been dead long before his body became food for earthworms. Ron recalled returning to Munster, Ireland as a younger lad of sixteen only to find the farm had been sold and his father died due to overindulgence in drink. The irony of being born and semi-raised in the province of Munster had not been lost on the young man due to having become a full-fledged werewolf by the time he walked the cobblestone streets and dirt roads that he once knew two years before his condition.

Savannah seemed as reluctant to acknowledge her new life as he'd been back then to do the same when Marcellus Altomare came for him and shipped him off to Italy. Of course, he wasn't familiar with the language of the Italians back then and had a difficult time fitting in due to his pale flesh and vibrant red hair. A few pretty girls often smiled and giggled whenever he entered a room and that was as much a rare occurrence as anything else in his life during that time. As far as he was concerned Savannah was lucky to be a mortal girl during puberty. He had to endure the trials and tribulations of youth from a male perspective with the boiling blood of a beast in his veins and his ever-high libido had not simmered since.

Many times Marcellus caught him bedding the servants boy and girl alike during that stage in his life as it seemed he'd been unable to quell his need to stick his enormous cock into anyone he could subjugate for hours on end. Not much had changed since then it seemed as Ron's cock began to twitch within the confines of his boxer shorts as he continued to stare out the nearby large, clear glass window.

This had not been what he expected when he arrived in New Jersey following a long ship ride and near drowning, not that it would have killed him, but he was given the task of babysitting the daughter of a man that hunted his kind for sport and had to deal with blood-sucking leeches in the process. As he stood reflecting on the turn of events that now took hold of his life, Ron thought back to the dying man and his final request.

He had not hated The Wolf Hunter, not even for being the death of a good deal of Were Clans. He seemed to have been in a good deal of pain and Ron knew something about that all too well. The loneliness and the agonized replay of one's past could take a toll on anyone even an immortal werewolf.

Still, it was strange the feeling that came over him when he first laid eyes on the now troubled fourteen-year-old girl. It was as if the whole world had stood still and melted away long enough for him to feel her despair and heartbreak as if it had been his own. It drew out the utmost sympathy from him which had been an odd thing as he never felt such emotions before.

Ron stepped away from the window and made his way back toward his bed, where he lay on the pillows and stared up at the ceiling above him as he listened to the sound of the pouring rain. Much like the deceased Victor Harlowe, he had been alone for a very long time before inadvertently finding a kindred spirit in the form of the now-dead man and now he was in charge of the poor bloke's daughter's well-being.

He supposed it was an intellectual choice, as he'd been immortal and the best equipped at handling blood suckers but he didn't know the first thing about seeing to the wellbeing of a child, let alone a teenager, and given his wolfish nature he had not even had the capacity to see to the needs of a mortal in general.

His father left him no other choice, but he was prepared to at the very least see the girl into adulthood, she could make her own decisions about her life from there.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Savannah's Bedroom, Apartment 73, The Regalway Towers, Southport, New Jersey.....

Savannah Halowe remained awake as she too stared up at the ceiling while lying in bed. All she could think about was how brutal her father's murder had been and the deep pool of blood that formed around his body when she first arrived. More hot tears streamed down her light brown cheeks as she attempted to suppress her need for answers. Her father's death was senseless in a way and it left her feeling utterly alone and confused in the wake of all that had happened. She barely managed to slap on a fake smile or make a polite response whenever she'd been asked about her feelings when she contacted her best friend and her family.

The Runnels were flabbergasted when they heard about the death of her father Victor and even more worried about her when she disappeared. She explained to them over the phone that her long lost "Uncle" had taken her in despite Mrs. Runnels being skeptical. They asked her about the upcoming funeral arrangements, which Ron Hemming had agreed to see to as he'd been the little brother and all.

Savannah sighed in the semi-darkness of her room as she continued to listen to the falling rain. She did her best to quell the anger that crept into her mind at her father for lying to her for so many years and at Ron for not doing enough to protect him when the bloodsuckers came. She was equally angry with her late mother for being a Vampire Slayer and finding that more important than being home with her husband and three-year-old daughter. More tears streamed down her cheeks as she recalled what she'd read from her mother's long-kept journals about her heritage on her side of the family. Her great-grandfather slayed vampires and thus her mother followed in his footsteps.

She supposed in time she'd do the same as he was given the genes of a wolf hunter via her father and vampire hunter via her mother. She was especially determined to kill any vampires she came across when the time came as they were the vile species of supernatural fiends that had taken both her parents' lives.

Savannah had fallen asleep with the vow to have her vengeance against the blood-sucking fiends as the rain continued to fall in the background of her bedroom.