Chapter 19: A Heartbreaking Conclusion

The Cripburn Complex, 1423 Arroyo Place, Southport, New Jersey.....

     Trembling hands reached up to flush the toilet bowl as vastly weak in the knees, Charlotte Freedman attempted to get back to her feet following the latest round of morning sickness. If there were ever any doubts about her pregnancy, they had long been erased via nausea and rough mornings that accompanied them. Charlotte didn't have the heart to tell Victor Harlowe that he might be the father of the child, might being the ideal phrase as she wasn't quite sure herself if it had been his. Try as she might, she found herself more than a bit flustered with being ignored and set aside for his convenience and she wasn't in the least pleased by the fact that he refused to acknowledge what they shared all those nights he'd come to her place for a chance to spend the night in her bed when his daughter had been living her life via sleepovers and camping trips without him.

In fact, Charlotte was downright enraged by the treatment she suffered at the hands of the man she had fallen in love with and wanted so badly to make him sorry that he'd ever ignored her and her affection for him. This proved to be a tragic mistake on her part as her rage and feeling unwanted and unloved got the better of her and she found herself seeking a measure of revenge against the grieving widower who had been more inclined to use her body than to actually love her.

She'd poured on a few drinks at a local club and went about flirting with anything on three legs and found herself in the midst of a tall dark and handsome stranger with the most alluring eyes she'd ever seen. His voice was smooth and deep, not so unlike Victor's when he'd been given to passion and it sort of reminded her of him as the stranger whose large hands caressed her body and lead her out into a darkened alleyway.

Ever the fool, especially when drunk, she was all too eager to part her legs for him as he took what she offered without hesitation. She was only aware of his scent, which had been the most appealing thing she'd ever been around, and his deep voice that dripped into her very ears like sweet music she craved from the very depths of the innermost parts of her being. He was a wild and dangerous stranger, once more reminding her of Victor when he'd been drunk and aroused in her presence.

She couldn't help herself as she gave in to him loving every moment of his rough play and animalistic needs until it was over, he had left her in the alley a mess and highly ashamed of having betrayed the man she loved without so much as a word of goodbye. He was gone and she was sick to her stomach, especially when she realized that the encounter could possibly have left her pregnant due to her purposely going off the pill with Victor and their lack of protection on that night.

She was relieved she had not gotten any diseases, but the looming possibility of having a child with a man she had not truly known still haunted her. There was also the possibility that the unborn child could belong to the love of her life and what ramifications her actions that night had on their continued relationship.

Charlotte finished up in the lavatory getting to her feet as she flushed the toilet and moved toward the sink washing her hands and face before tackling the task of brushing her teeth. She knew she'd been pregnant at this time the test and the morning sickness had been big indicators and she'd even gone to see a healthcare professional. There was no more getting around it, she was pregnant but had no idea who the father of her child had been. A mysterious stranger whom she had given into for one night of unyielding passion at her lowest point or the man who had held her heart even as he kept his from her.

Once more Charlotte's mind ventured back to the last time Victor had been in her bed. He seemed at peace in her presence and slept well through the night despite his initial feelings of being involved with her. While she understood that he was still in a good deal of pain from the loss of his wife, she didn't know why he couldn't just let it go and see what else life had to offer him after the cruelty he experienced the first time he took a chance on love.