Chapter Fifteen - This Life

Flashback-

I couldn't stop staring at her. At the end of the world, here we sat. At the peak of a rollercoaster looking into the distance of our world that went to chaos, even then my best friend still managed to find me when I needed her the most.

Melanie's black hair shifted against the wind, her blushed pink cheeks drawn up in a smile as her bright blue eyes were lost in haze. "I think I love him" she turned slightly to me, smiling over her obvious fear.

"Love is a big word for you Mel" I smiled brightly. Melanie had only ever loved one boy, if you could even call it that. Middle of the school year she met Jeremy Blair, ash blonde hair and bright green eyes Melanie drooled over. But much alike all high school romances theirs didn't last and there hadn't been anybody since, except now "Brent is a good guy".

"He's just so.." Her smile never faulted as she blushed deeper.

"Hot?".

Melanie sent me a side eye giggling quietly "Yes. But not just that" she nudged me with her shoulder "He cares so deeply for people even if he doesn't show it, And when it's just us two he is so sweet".

I watched her eyes droop slightly knowing she was overthinking again "So what's stopping you from telling him?".

Melanie sighed rubbing her palms down her blushed face "What if he doesn't feel the same? It's not like I can move away to avoid him" she gestured to the front gate which where a roamer was being put down by the guards.

"Are you being serious" My lips turned up as I pulled her into my side, slinging my arm across her shoulders as we leaned our heads in together "Brent has been through a lot of shit, much like most of us, anybody can see that. When he first got here he barely spoke to anyone until you, and the way he looks at you Mel's, there's no denying he loves you too. He might not have the best way of showing it but that boy worships the ground you walk on".

The raven haired girl sent me a side eye "You should have been a writer" we both laughed at her statement "But really. Thankyou Kate".

The sun started to rise when the boys emerged beneath us, their heads bobbing as they laughed between themselves. Carter was the first to look up, his hand shielding his eyes as his stare found its way to mine "Don't jump" his hands were raised sarcastically as he smirked.

"I think we could catch them" Brent nudged his side, flexing his arms to his sides "Especially with these bad boys".

Melanie looked to me with a raised eyebrow silently saying "We are doomed" when out loud she really said "You call those muscles, I can barely see them".

I couldn't help but laugh watching the boys faces drop "She's not wrong" Carter turned to me this time giving me his prominent grin after I spoke.

"Come say it to my face" Brent shouted back daring Melanie, she looked to me for reassurance but this was all her.

"You'd have to catch me first" she laughed lowering herself slowly over the bars of the ride.

Brent started to make his way towards her, his toothy grin clear even at this height "I'll find you anywhere Melanie".