Chapter Twenty-Five - Breaking in

One week later..

On day one we were assigned to our new homes, split into three. Myself, Carter and Hayley in the one closest to the beach, Matt and Sarah situated next to ours and Maddie and Ben a few tents down.

On day two we were shown around the camp, missing the obvious mysterious lab lurking in the forest line. The days after that passed in a haze, Matt was slowly getting better, Ben was still quiet but Maddie and Carter were working on that.

Carter creeped up behind me wrapping his arms around my waist while his head sunk between my neck "You are staring again Katie". My husband noticed everything, especially the way i'd been assessing the building since the moment our feet entered the camp.

I sighed leaning back into his warm embrace "It's just bugging me. They have a huge building, guarded at every single angle but for what?".

Carter's hands twisted in my waist turning me until my eyes found his deep hazel ones "So what are you gonna do huh, take on all of them guards.. see what all the fuss is about" he was being serious, I could tell by his tone but his face held a slight smirk as if he was taunting me.

I pushed against his chest watching him stumble back slightly "I think I could take them" I laughed spreading my legs slightly and raising my fists "I mean I could easily beat you. The apparent big, strong man you are".

"Apparent?" The brunette smirked harder, rolling his sleeves up until he could imitate my pose "Baby, I could knock you down with one hand".

I could watch the light in his face all day as he teased me, the past few days I slowly started seeing him get his happiness back. After Brent I know both him and Ben were in a dark place, this place was what they were all wanting.

I grinned back at him "Come on then". Carter quickly ran to me with one arm behind his back, his other quickly wrapping around my waist as he hoisted me from the ground. I squealed in his grip, his husky laugh slipping my ears as he dangled me "You win. I surrender".

When my feet hit the ground again I quickly swiped my foot under his and watched as he plummeted to the dirt, his back slumping down first while he shook his head. "That was cheating".

I held my hand out, smiling as I felt his touch send goosebumps along my skin. But that familiar feeling didn't last long when he pulled me down with him, my body crashing into his until our faces were inches apart. "Cheating huh. That's not very nice Lucifer".

Carters grin was prominent until he pushed his lips onto mine, his lips igniting me the same way it did when we first kissed.

A cough sounded above us breaking the haze we were in, we both twisted our necks at the same time to see Matt standing above us, an eyebrow raised and a fake snarl on his face. "If you two are finished swapping saliva can I talk to Katie".

Carter jumped up first pulling me up with him "Don't give me that look Matt" I pointed to him "I know how babies are made".

My husband's laugh was echoing in my ear the moment the words slipped my lips "I'll leave you guys to that" His lips pressed to my cheek before he retreated to our tent.

"You always have to ruin my moments don't you Matt" I rolled my eyes as we started to walk the dirt path.

Matt smiled, the colour returning to his face as the sun reflected on his skin. "And I won't stop until I'm dead. Now" My uncle turned to scope the small beach around us "I spoke to Ryan this morning".

I looked to him in confusion as we walked closer to the shoreline "The guard you knew?".

Matt nodded before sinking into the sand "I asked him if this place is the real deal. He told me it's safe but it isn't what it all was made out to be".

"What does that mean?".

Matt sighed "That building you pointed out, he said he doesn't even know what's inside of it. The guards are assigned to shifts, rotating every day but none are given permission to enter".

I knew my gut feeling was right, Matt looked weary because he knew what I was like but if I was going to keep my family safe I needed to know what was inside "We're here now, there isn't much we can do. You talk to the other guards, see if they know anything and I'll talk to some of the families".

Matt nodded as he turned to walk away, but just as he took a step he turned back to me "Don't do anything stupid Katie, we all need this place. I'm only telling you because I knew you had a feeling".

I nodded silently, turning back to the view of the ocean as I thought over how to find out what they are hiding.

The plan was simple. Simple in my mind and definitely stupid. I'd been watching this place since the moment we'd got here, the moment the sun starts to set the guards change over at the left side of the building.

All I needed was the few seconds it took for them to switch. I waited behind the small row of trees opposite them, watching in the darkness as a set of two guards walked towards the building.

The moment the two men on shift started exchanging hushed words I took my chance, their backs were turned as I slowly raced to the window.

A small set of double windows with the latch broken off, the rest of the entrances were bolted up, this was the only way in. I pulled the rusted window slowly and just enough to fit my body through.

I landed on the cold concrete below before quickly regaining composure. The place was dark apart from a small light emitting from the stairs and the end of the hallway.

This was a bad idea. Was all I could think as I grazed down the haunting rooms, the rooms were mostly empty apart from a few empty desks and broken computers.

My feet slipped up the stairs slowly following the light, the sound of a typing and the familiar sound that haunted me each night.

The growl of a monster.

Apocalyptic Love - The island जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें