Chapter Sixteen - A sign

Carter-

Ben was nervously tapping his foot against the concrete, it had been at least two hours since Brent and Maddie led the herd away, they should have been back by now. "What if something's happened".

I ran a hand through my dirty waves as I paced the drive "If we follow the way they went we could run into the herd" I sighed "But if they need our help we can't just stay here".

I couldn't stop the gut wrenching feeling that something happened, Ben was right, two hours was a long time and each moment after was worse. "Let's go. We go slowly and if we see the herd we come back here and wait" Matt was already slinging his bag back over his back, his face emotionless as he started walking.

I looked to Ben who nodded agreeing taking of a few steps behind him as I trailed further back. As I said this world was never easy, it's like everything you give something gets taken back. I saved Ben but lost Katie and Hayley, we found Matt and in the process got Separated from Maddy and Brent. Nothing was ever easy and slowly it was taking all the hope that my wife rebuilt.

The tons of footprints were easy for Matt to decipher as the herd, we stayed crouched and watched our footing until we made it out of the clearing in front of a small town. The town was small and deserted, the trail of brain matter led us to a small alley way behind the shops where a few roamers were still straggling behind. Their hands reaching through a metal gate blocking of the exit.

"They came through here" Matt whispered as we ducked behind the brick wall of the shop "I'm going to walk around, check if the herd is still here. You guys take out them stragglers".

The first instinct was to shake my head "No. we can't split up again" But the state Matt was in he was in no mood to argue.

"I have a flare I'll shoot it if I need yous" The man quickly muttered before creeping around the corner.

Ben looked to me with worried eyes but there was nothing we could do, the man was fighting the demons in his head and that was only a battle he could win. Sure we could help him, give him words of reassurance but only if he believed it. "Come on, let's get this over with" My friend smiled before pulling his knife out.

"I feel like we just keep losing everyone" I looked to Ben before sliding my knife into the oncoming corpse, its body dropping to the ground as another slowly replaced it.

"I know" The boy said copying my actions "I miss the park. At least there we knew everyone was alive, we had a sense of safety. If we stay out here too long we won't be better off than any of these fuckers" He gestured the metal of the blade towards his next kill streak.

"Katie was like my anchor, she kept all the dark shit away" I sighed as we took down the last two "And now Matt. That look in his eyes, I had that exact look when he found me. He's letting the darkness eat away at him".

"He's been alone, his girl is somewhere out there carrying his baby, he won't be okay until we find them. Not much we can do man".

Sarah was strong, before she came to the camp she survived for a whole year alone so there was doubt she could look after herself. Katie too, she was the toughest person I knew but I couldn't help that sinking feeling that we couldn't find her for a reason. "I guess so".

"You think we will find Brent and Mad?" Ben sat down opposite me, his body leaning down the brick wall of the alley.

My aching form mimicked him, sitting down as I twisted my blade between my fingers "I hope so. They probably just had to take the long way back".

Ben nodded slowly, his eyes deceiving his demeanour. "Yeah I guess so". Ben had a way of always covering his emotions, mainly with his wicked sense of humour but I could always see through the cracks. Even while his tanned skin wore a smile, his eyes told me he was exhausted, and I knew he felt guilty for being the one who split me up from Katie and Hayley. "When we find them.. What do we do then? That place was kinda it for us, nowhere out here is safe anymore".

That was the real question, one I didn't know the answer to.

Before any words could leave my lips my eyes caught onto the metal fence beside us "Do you see that?" I stood up letting my bag drop to the floor as I stepped closer to the barrier.

"See what?".

My fingers grazed forward running along the metal, the fresh red liquid covering my fingers the moment I made contact "This is blood" I looked to Ben who was quickly pulling himself from the concrete.

His eyes cornered my hands, then following back to the source "It could be from the dead" Bens hazel eyes were pleading, we both knew our friends came this way and if they were trapped the only way would be over the fence.

"This is fresh" I wiped my soiled hands down my trousers before running a rough hand through my hair, the worst thoughts were always the first to emerge "If it was a corpse it would be darker, more clotted. One of them is hurt Ben".

"Fuck" Ben mirrored my expression "FUCK" My eyes widened as he turned around hastily, his fist flying into the wall with enough force to break his knuckles "I'm sick of this man" The cheery boy had reached his limits, he retracted his arm again ready to knock another blow but I managed to catch his forearm before he did anymore damage.

"It's not worth it" I was as angry as he was, but we both know if they needed us he would be no good with a broken hand "Let's go find Matt".

Ben nodded rubbing over the fresh bruise across his skin that was already forming. The moment our bags were back across our shoulders a red flame soared through the skyline, the exact direction Matt disappeared to.