Chapter Twenty-Seven - Trouble

Carter-

I should have known. The signs were obvious.

Every day since we had gotten to the island Katie's eyes never strayed far from the building, she was on constant watch mode as if the building would explode at any moment. But the moment I saw her exiting the building with guards either side eying her, I knew what she had done.

I stood still in between the trees tapping my foot anxiously as she walked over, I was angry. I was hurt, she knew I hated the stupid plans she concocted in her head and still she did it.

The moment her blue eyes pierced mine I almost melted "Would you believe me if I said it was an accident" she spoke fiddling with her hands as she stared at me.

That fueled the anger already bubbling "A joke? Are you being serious Katie".

Katie ran a hand through her hair as she looked at me in desperation "I told everyone there wasn't something right with that place".

"So you just broke in? on your own. This is what you always do" I spat.

My wife stepped closer to me, her eyebrows drawn down as that fiery personality started to emerge "I'm trying to keep us safe, you know that. It isn't just me and you anymore".

"That's exactly my point, what would have happened if you got yourself killed in there. Then what" The Thought of losing her almost broke me, that's why i hated when she put herself in situations like this "You promised me it wouldn't happen again, we would tell each other anything, every stupid plan".

Her blue eyes were burning me as tears welled along her waterline "I was trying to stop you from getting hurt, to stop everyone from being in danger again. Every place is the same now".

"I'm not doing this again" I snapped "It isn't just us anymore Katie you are right about that, but me and you both know this isn't just about keeping us safe".

Katie's face steamed a brighter shade of red as she stepped closer "What is it about then huh. I don't see anybody else doing anything".

Behind us I saw a row of guards hanging onto our words and whispering small comments between them which just made my anger grow. I grabbed Katie's hand and pulled her into the treeline, feeling her push against my weight each step of the way.

"You have to be in control of everything. You hate the thought of the unknown, so you put yourself in these stupid situations thinking it will ease your mind when in reality you just end up pushing everyone away".

"I push everyone away?" My wife scoffed shaking her head "Sure. Coming from the guy who never let's anyone in".

We both stared at eachother in anger knowing our words were only spewing out because of the harsh situation, I hated arguing with the woman I love but sometimes it needs to happen to make her see sense. But her words cut deep.

"You know what. Do what you want Katie" Tears were slowly slipping as she stared at me "I'm not going to try stop you anymore".

I turned my back to her pulling in a sharp breath "Carter" I heard her voice from behind me but I didnt turn around. My footsteps echoed over the silence until I heard her shout my name one last time.

We all thought this place would be our new haven, a place where we could be safe and grow. But even without the constant danger we were still tearing eachother apart without even knowing it