Chapter Twenty-Six - Science

The growling was haunting me as I inched closer to the sound, the light coming from a room at the end of the corridor left slightly ajar. After everything we'd been through I should have known to never doubt my instincts, they were almost always right and that was something my father taught me. As much as I hate the man he became, he taught me to know a lie and that was important now.

My footsteps moved closer until I was able the hear the harsh huff of a person inside the room, but the moment my fingers grazed the door frame a thick set of hands grips my biceps forcing a small shriek from my throat. I didn't have a chance to grab the knife hidden in my boots as I was slammed against the wall by a huge weight, a bald headed guard steaming with rage as he stared in my eyes.

"What the hell are you doing. This place is off limits" his harsh tone was whipping my face as I stared him down "Answer me".

I tried kicking his legs but his weight was to much for me "Get your dirty hands of me asshole".

The door next to us swung open as a younger man stepped out confused. His dark hair was slick to the back of his head, his green eyes roaming between me and the guard. His height was a few inches taller than mine, a pesky frame covered by a white lab coat. "What the hell is going on?" His eyes were directed to the guard holding me as I writhed under his touch.

"I was doing my nightly sweep when this one was creeping the halls" The guard stood tall nodding to the stranger "I'll escort her out and inform the others of her actions".

"No" The stranger said which made me raise an eyebrow to him "Let her go, I want to talk to her".

The guard looked to me with a hesitant look but his hands slowly retreated from my arms "Touch me like that again and I'll break your nose" I shouted to him as he walked back down the hallway leaving me with the strange man.

The brunette held his hand out to me "I'm Laindon. You are with the new group right?" I nodded but refused to shake his hand, I didn't trust him one bit whether or not he saved me from the guard.

"Katie".

Laindon nodded holding the door open for me and gesturing me to follow him. But what I saw disgusted me to the core.

The room was huge a huge lab. Pure white with scattered pictures and scans hung across the walls, a huge desk with a modernised computer situated in the middle. A thick glass case entrapping a corpse in its prison, but the corpse wasn't like the ones I'd seen, its body was covered in thick grimy blisters, his hands dismembered from its body as the stumps hammered the glass cage.

"What the fuck" was the first words to fall from my lips "Are you fucking crazy" was the second.

The man closed the door behind us forcing my instincts to kick in, I reached down pulling the small throwing knife from my boot and holding it in his direction. Laindon held his hands in surrender "I'm not going to hurt you, sit down and let me explain".

"Explain quick and if I don't like it I won't hesitate" I stood on the furthest end of the lab keeping my knife firmly in place as he took a seat in his chair.

"You really don't need a weapon Katie" The man spoke but as he watched the stern look on my face slowly nodded "Before the virus happened we were a researching lab, owned by the government but kept separate from the other organisations. We handled the viruses the world didn't want to deal with, a group of us lived in the lab for years. But when the dead started rising the army took over, they brought people here, set up camps".

"And the cage" I pointed to the constant reminder of death beside us.

Laindon sighed pulling a thick file from the side on the desk "I've been trying to find a cure, something that will the stop the virus spreading once the person is infected" I wanted to hope that was he was saying was true but nothing about this all felt right.

"So where are all the other scientists, you said you all lived here?".

Laindon looked away quickly which was the first thing to make my brain run wild "They left to find their families pretty early on".

I walked closer to the glass cage glancing between them "And you don't know what caused this?".

Laindon shook his head but couldn't hold my constant eye contact, he was lying. There was no doubt in that, but I needed to do this the right way. "Why are you telling me all this?".

"Because the people out there haven't seen the real world, they are safe here, they didn't have to go through what you did. If they knew we had one in here it would cause chaos" The man walked over to the door opening it again as he gestured me out "I trust you to keep this to yourself Katie, if we want peace on the island this is the best way".

I nodded my head inching out the door, I left him with no words. I didn't have any for the lies he had just tried to sell, this place was much bigger than we thought it was.

But just like every other place we'd ended up in, there was no guarantee for safety.

The same guard was waiting by the exit as I walked down, his glare evident as I passed him. But what was even scarier than that. Was my husband waiting outside the doors for my with disappointment written across his face.