Chapter Three - I Do

The night came around quickly, the darkness taking over the haven as everybody retreated to bed. We stayed in the main building, a small storeroom now turned into our bedroom.

Carter and myself were laid on a double mattress, my head on his chest as his arms draped around my waist. Hayley in the corner on another mattress, wrapped in blankets as she lightly snored.

"You should see the way she looks at you" Carter smiled looking down to me "She has this spark in her eyes each time you talk".

My smile was bright as he spoke, I'd been wanting to talk to him about the girl, but I hadn't managed to find the right words.

"She's still so young, she needs people to raise her" Carter carried on, his fingers twirling my curls between his touch.

I sat up slightly, resting my arms on his chest to push me up until I was in his stare "I was thinking about that" He tilted his head to me "What if we did it. I mean obviously we aren't her parents, or anywhere near mature enough to raise a kid. But she's already taken to us, and I hate thinking about her with anyone else" The words were rushed and jumbled, I was nervous, I didn't know how he would react.

"You want us to raise her?" Carter brushed a few strands from my face, but I couldn't decipher his stare. He looked confused, but at the same time his eyebrow was perked up as if he was actually happy.

"Why not?" I sat up in his lap, as he did the same, resting against the wall as he pulled me closer "We could keep her safe, we've both been around kids our whole lives. I just.. she reminds me of my brother, and I can't help but have this urge to protect her, I couldn't do that with him".

His haze eyes softened "I get that if you want this then I'm all in. Whatever makes you happy" He cupped my cheeks as my smile grew wider "She practically lives with us now anyway" Carter laughed, looking over to her small frame tucked beneath the blankets.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you Lucifer" I pressed my lips to his gently, taking him in as he rested his hands on the small of my back, slowly pulling me closer to him.

"Hm. I don't think so" His bright eyes were full of mischief "Maybe you should try it".

I kissed his stubble lingering for a few seconds "I love you" I moved to his forehead leaving another "I love you" And then back to his blushed lips "I love you".

Seven months ago..

Today was the day.

"Are you ready?" Matt was stood outside the doors of my room, his nerves evident in his voice.

An apocalyptic wedding, who would have thought. I didn't need this big day, or whatever the guys had planned, but the group insisted on a wedding. Sandra said the group needed something to prove that life can still flourish even in these harsh times, something to give them a reason to fight harder.

So here I stood, in a mid-length white dress. It wasn't nothing fancy, we raided a few stores until we found one that hadn't been destroyed by dirt or blood. The dress was just above my knees, a square cut neckline showing of the small arrow pendant hanging across my chest and small puffed sleeves. We were still in an apocalypse, so I managed to get Sandra to let me wear a pair of white converses instead of heels, I thanked her at least a hundred times.

"I think so" My curls were hanging loosely bellow my shoulders, the most I could do with no hairstyling. But I didn't need all this, we would never be officially married, we could have just started calling each other husband and wife, none would be the wiser. All I needed was him.

Matt rounded the door, freezing in his tracks as he looked over me "You look beautiful bug" he walked over with tears in his eyes, pulling me into his gigantic arms in a crushing embrace "You look just like your mother" I smiled just like him thinking back to her.