Chapter Thirteen - The island

The map spread in front of us gave us no hope, the mere miles surrounding us gave us no determination of being able to find the boys. "I'll mark where we've checked, and you mark where you've been" I marked a few places off the map with a red marker before passing it to Sarah.

The woman looked drained, since finding the small herd a day ago we hadn't rested, Hayley was asleep in the car we were leaning against but Sarah was adamant she didn't need to rest. "We've practically covered the north and east from the Park, this is the only other area they could be unless they ventured out further" She pointed to the map before rubbing her sleeves across her puffy eyes.

"We will head that way, but only if you rest" I looked to her with a stern stare "You are growing a whole human, you need to sleep Sarah".

Sarah sighed pulling her red locks back into a low pony nodding her head slowly "I know that. I just hate this, we only separated because he was trying to protect me. What would stop him from coming straight back?" Her emerald eyes were glassy as she leaned against the car bonnet.

"A lot of things" I joined her, grazing my hand over her own "A number of things could have delayed him, but I can assure you he's doing everything he can to get back to you".

A blood hounding scream sounded in the distance, both of us jumping to our feet in an instant as our blood ran cold. "Stay here" I turned to the pale woman who was already shaking her head.

"You can't go alone".

I pointed to the run down car Hayley was sleeping in "Stay in the car with her, cover the windows and wait for me. I'll be back I promise".

Sarah hesitated but she nodded, I waited until she was securely in the vehicle before running down the highway towards the horror filled sound. The closerI got the louder the cries grew, the high pitched voice of a woman, a slight husky to it telling me she was definitely older. I stopped in my tracks seeings a splash of fresh red blood across the concrete, the trail leading the road as my eyes followed it.

A corpse was already put down as the trail grew shorter, a small pocket knife protruding from its eye socket.

The blood halted at a small red two seater car, a bloody handprint smeared across the window as the glass steamed up from the inside. The shadow of the woman was clear as she sat in the drivers side, whether or not she was still alive was another question. I walked around to the passenger side knocking on the window slightly as a warning before pulling the door open.

The elderly lady was leaning back against the soiled chair, her hand pressing against the fresh wound in her shoulder which was most definitely a fatal bite. Her kind eyes turned to me as I climbed in the car with her, the misty blues welcoming me even in death. "I'm sorry, I heard the scream and got here as fast as I could" The greying woman waved her free hand.

"Not your fault dear, my time was closing in either way" She smiled through the virus slowly seeping its way through her body "I'm Harriet".

"Katie" I smiled back "Do you need me to do anything? Patch that up" I pointed to the gash in her shoulder.

"Don't waste resources on a fatal wound hun, maybe could you sit with me? At least I won't be alone at the end" Somehow the woman was still smiling, her aged skin wrinkling at the sides of her bright smile, overpowering the distant paling of her skin.

I nodded taking her freehand in my own, her grasp weak but she squeezed "What were you doing out here Harriet?".

"Ive been looking for my granddaughter since this virus hit, my car broke down and I was trying to fix it but I was never good at those sort of things" Harriet laughed before coughing harshly "My husband bless his soul, thankfully wasn't around to see this but he always fixed my car for me. That's when that monster popped out of nowhere".

I guess we were all looking for something in this damned world, whether it be people or peace. "I'm sorry, I'm sure she's still out there".

Harriet nodded handing me a picture of a young girl, curled into her grandparents side as her dark brown hair waved down her shoulders, her smile bright as she looked up to Harriet and her husband. "You look quite like her" The lady laughed, I tried to hand her the picture back but she shook her head, coughing once again "You keep it. Maybe fate will have you bump into her. You can tell her Grandma never stopped looking".

Tears prickled my eyes as I looked to her, she wasn't scared nor sad. She was just thankful to not be alone. "Don't cry dear" she squeezed my hand again, the strength growing much weaker than before "Why are you out here alone".

I took in a deep breath thinking over everything the past days, I hadn't realised until now I hadn't even spoken about what happened. "I'm looking for my family, my husband. Our camp got overrun and I've been looking since" My lip wobbled as I thought about Carter, his face was etched into my mind. Those hazel eyes that sought into my soul, the rare smile that mainly showed when it was just the two of us. All I wanted to do was wrap myself in his arms, even if it was one last time.

"The world works in mysterious ways, by the way your face changed when you thought about him, nothing. Not even this god forsaken plague will keep you from him" Harriet's eyes were full of hope and they charged mine, as if her energy sparked something that had slowly been dying.

"I believe you" I smiled. Harriet's face scrunched up as she leaned forward to the glove compartment, I tried to stop her but she slapped my hand away while laughing slightly to herself. When she sat back she held a map in her hands, once again placing the paper in my hand.

"There's a place marked on there, just of the coast" I looked to her with a raised brow, her skin was almost pure white now and the brightness slowly draining from her eyes "My granddaughters husband was military" A deep groan forced through her mouth, the cough spitting blood into her palm as I jumped up in the seat.

"Don't talk Harriet, save your energy".

"I need to say this" she wiped her palm across her already bloodied blouse, she turned in the seat looking directly at me "The place marked on the map is an island, the military set it up early" Harriet's breaths were growing heavier but she didn't stop "You find a boat and sail over. Tell them the words written on the back of the map".

"Is it safe?" We'd had hope about places before, but to our knowledge all military places were overrun at the start.

Harriet nodded leaning back into the seat as her body showed weakness "Monsters can't swim" was all she said before taking a harsh inhale "Im glad you was here with me Katie. I really hope you find peace dear".

My cheeks were soaked with tears as I realised she used her last breaths to help me, the moment the words left her lips her eyes closed. Her cracked lips slowly parting as her hand dropped from the wound on her shoulder.

"I hope you find peace too Harriet" I whispered before gently sinking my knife through the back of her skull, the least she deserved was to not come back as the monsters that took her life.