Chapter Twenty One - Kaboom

"This is a freaking joke right?" I pulled out two machine guns staring in awe "There's no way we actually got this lucky".

"Hell yeah there is" Matt's toothy grin was adamant as he pulled out a duffel to start packing up the guns, urging me to do the same.

We loaded up two bags full making sure to pack ammunition which was tucked into the bottom of the lockers "Is this.." I looked down to the grenade which i'd just pulled from one of the drawers.

"Please be careful with that. You pull that pin and we both go..." Matt gestured an explosion with his hands.

"Got it Spartacus".

The last weapons were pistols which fit easily into the bag "How do I look?" I laughed aiming the gun in front of me trying to put on my best "Badass gun girl" face which probably looked worse than I imagined in my head.

"You look like you are constipated" I rolled my eyes at him enjoying the better mood he was finally in, but my fingers slipped as the gun fell through my hand. The weapon hit the solid floor with a harsh thud, a bullet shooting from the barrel the moment it landed the wrong way. Both me and Matt ducked holding our hands over our heads as the sound echoed across the small room "Am I hit? I don't think I'm hit" Matt stood up panting himself down before looking over to me.

I looked over inch of him "I think you are good, sorry" I held my hands up in embarrassment "We need to go, we don't know who heard that".

"Pack up the last bits and we will go" Matt's hands worked quickly as did mine piling the leftover weapons into the duffels. We both had one each over our shoulders as we made our way out of the room, inching closer to the door as my uncle walked in front. "Fuck. get back" he whispered turning back around to me and nodding to the armoury we just left.

The moment we jumped back over the reception I noticed the mob of dead piling against the windows, their hands slamming into the glass as the thuds echoed across the building. "How many?" we were both ducked behind the desk.

"Too many" Matt's face was pure white as he looked from me back to the herd.

"We have the guns? could we not just shoot them" We had more than enough firepower now to take on a herd.

"We shoot them in here, by the time we make a dent more corpses will be piling through the door. If we were outside then we could make a run for it, but in here we are in a death trap" Matt popped his head across the desk to look to the back doors "We are surrounded".

Just as I went to grab the walkie from my pocket the glass doors shattered against the weight of the herd, giving them a clear path towards us. Matt jumped up grabbing the door which he took of the frame and placed it against the entrance of the desk just as the herd slammed into it. Their bony hands reached over the top of the desk as they piled against it, their jaws snapping in our direction.

"What do we do?" I looked to my uncle who was staring into the ocean of dead, his hands shaking against the weight of the pistol in his hands.

Matt jumped forward sinking his knife into reachable heads across the desk, but each one that dropped was replaced by another in a matter of seconds. "See where Carter is, They could try lead them away".

My shaky hands pressed into the button of the device "Carter where are you guys".

"About ten minutes away, what's wrong?" His voice distracted me from the hundreds of monsters metres away from us.

I sighed holding my head down before speaking again "Me and Matt are trapped. There's hundreds, we are behind the desk but it won't take long for them to get through" I knew Carter would be panicking but there was no way of me sugarcoating the situation we were in.

"I'm coming baby" I could hear his words under his harsh breaths and I knew he was running, but both me and Matt knew he wouldn't make it in time.

Matt was still attacking them from across the desk, the blood spraying across his face each time he pulled his blade from their skulls. I kneeled on the floor rummaging through the satchels until I found my worst idea yet, my ideas were usually half cocked and had a small chance of actually working but this one was my worst one yet.

"Matt how much do you trust me" I turned around to face him holding a grenade in my hands, his face instantly scrunched shaking his head.

"No. Hell no" he went to grab it but I took a step back "Do you want to get blown to pieces".

"We throw it in the herd, this desk is made of what. Wood and metal? That will take most of the blow while we hide behind it" I held the bomb in my hand tightly looking over to the growing crowd of monsters "You've seen it in films, when things blow up they hide in fridges and shit, this desk can be our fridge".

Matt hands roughed through his hair, his mind working overtime as he thought of the best way out of this. But the truth was there was none. "We are talking an explosion, at that point we might as well use the guns" I twisted just in time to slide my blade through a monster which was toppling over the desk and we both knew we were running out of time.

"We need the guns Matt. A herd this size will take all our ammo" Matt sighed even though I knew he didn't want to do this.

We both turned to look at the herd, I didn't know how close Carter was, or if he'd see the explosion I just had to hope we both made it out of this alive.

"You ready?" I twisted my head to look at my uncle, he closed his eyes slowly nodding.

I pulled the thin metal pin from the grenade, holding the clutch down before throwing it into the death trap. My eyes grazed it as it flew across the room landing right in the centre of the herd, I was frozen until I felt Matt slamming my body behind the desk as he shielded me with his own. His broad arms wrapped around my head, both our breathing rigid as we awaited uncertainty.

Then came the explosion. My ears were ringing as a cracking sound rippled the air, the dust immediately caging my chest. Then came the worst, the crumbling of the foundation surrounding us, the last thing I felt was a heavy weight crushing my whole body before everything faded to darkness.