Chapter Four - Family

Our close group was sat around the twinkling sky, Carter with his arms around me, Hayley sat between my legs as I rested my back against Carters chest. Brent and Ben bickering to each other which was the usual, and Matt and Sarah whispering words between them as they smiled under the moonlight.

A small fire was lit in the middle of us, the small waves of smoke whistling through the air. This was my peace; these people were my family, and I couldn't be more thankful for them. We were dysfunctional to say the least, but it worked for us in the best way.

My head felt lighter as I slowly sipped the wine in my cup, Ben was already wasted and throwing his arms around Brent as he pushed him off.

"I would like to make an announcement" Matt stood up, raising his cup towards us all "We built a life here, a good one and I know we are all finally at peace" he pulled Sarah to him looking at her with his eyes full of love "We are expecting a new addition to join our family" Matt looked directly to me as my mouth widened.

His huge hand grazed down to her stomach; his smile wider than id ever seen as the group ran over to congratulate them. Matt left Sarah to talk to the others as he walked over to me, standing up as he grew closer. I didn't hesitate to wrap my arms around him as tight as possible, letting my tears soak his chest. "I'm so happy for you Uncle Matt".

"Me too bug".

"You will be the best dad" I looked up to him noticing his eyes were slightly cloudy "You've always been more of a dad to me than an uncle, that kid will be lucky to have you".

"I feel the same about you Katie, I'm scared though. This life its going to be hard with a baby".

Matt was right but we couldn't be scared about what could happen "You've got all of us here, I would protect that cousin of mine with my life and you would too". The man nodded again pulling me in tighter.

The night was spent celebrating the new life, we drank and smiled almost the whole night. I knew bringing life to this world was scary now, but we couldn't put our lives on hold, and I knew this was something Matt always wanted.

By the time the night neared to a close Hayley was asleep in my lap, my hands brushing through her thick locks as I watched her breathe slowly.

"Come on, lets head in" Carter lent down and picked the small girl up, using his free hand to pull me from the floor.

The morning went by in a haze, myself, Carter, Brent and Ben heading out of the gates towards a small town a few miles out.

"Why did we let Katie drive, I swear Hayley could drive better than her" Ben sulked in the back, I looked in the mirror as I threw my water bottle back, aiming for his head with a thump "Hey. That wasn't nice".

"Shut your mouth before I crash on purpose" Carter laughed reaching over and resting his hand on my thigh.

"Control your woman Carter".

Carter looked back using his prominent death stare "Your fault bud. Shouldn't have dissed her driving".

I swear these boys could make an argument out of anything, that's how we spent the ride bickering back and forth until finally Brent punch Ben in the arm forcing him to close his mouth.

The small town was strangely quiet, the only sounds were a few rodents roaming the littered trash. "We will take the pharmacy, you guys hit the stores" I pointed to the boys, taking Carter with me.

Ben saluted while Brent muttered a quick "Yes ma'am".

The pharmacy was mainly raided but we managed to find a few bottles of Aspirin and antibiotics, some gauze and a few mini first aid kits. Carter waited by the doors as I packed the rucksack up, slinging it over my back and walking back to him.

"What the fuck" Carter whispered, his finger going to his lips to shush me.

My body went into panic mode, watching his own go rigid. The walk to him was careful, making sure not to make noise as I neared the door and when I finally caught his line of sight I gasped.

What we saw was not a herd. It was a ocean of dead heading straight for us and the direction of home, the crowd was full of hundreds of corpses, their heads bobbing as they slowly filled the roads. Ones we'd encountered before were small, some larger than other but none big enough to completely bulldoze us. This could end us in a split second.

"We need to go now" I pulled his arm, already making our way to the car.

"Why do you two look like you are going to shit your pants" Brent shouted as we grew closer, but Bens hands went round his mouth as he noticed the same.

"Fuck. Shit. They are heading for home" Ben paled as we climbed into the car, there was no way we could control a crowd that big, or even try to fight them.

The haven we worked so hard to build was about to be torn down and there was nothing we could do about it.